Awww they like me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiedouglas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I rehomed my roosters. My hens still aren't laying, but they're getting close and they seem happier without that uppity rooster jumping on them all the time.

Two nights ago I was bring out the treats and one my reds squatted for me and let me pet her! They've been a little standoffish since they've been out in the coop, but I was hoping they'd get friendly again once they started laying.

Then last night both reds squatted for me and one of my buffs leaned on me and coo/clucked when I petted her.

Guess blueberries were the way to their hearts? I was just so amused they finally warmed up to me on their own!

Were they just that stressed out having an adolescent rooster around or are they just calming down cause they're getting closer to laying age? They seem so much friendlier now in the week since he's been gone.

2. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    They Must Really Love U For Giving Him The Boot.lol Not Sure If That The Real Reason Why, Still Kinda New At This.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I find that the pullets get friendlier and calmer and more personable once they start laying. It's like all those hormones inside them get sorted out and their bodies finally know what to do with 'em all. Don't you remember your puberty???
    [​IMG]

That's with OR without roosters jumpin' 'em all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by