1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awww what's amatter Pumpkin? *PLOP*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    This evening amid my fretting over my broodies, fretting over my roo's injured leg and fretting over all the other things I fret about, I noticed that my EE Pumpkin was acting a bit "off". My least favorite as a chick, Pumpkin has really grown on me.

Pumpkin stopped free ranging and just sat down in the middle of a field. When I tried to pick her up, she ran off only to sit down again somewhere else. When she finally did get up to head towards the coop, she was walking kinda funny and she didn't peck at anything along her way.

When she got to the coop I cornered her. When I picked her up, she initially fought me. After a few seconds she calmed down, with me stroking her beard and her back. I checked well between her pelvic bones and didn't feel anything. Checked again a few minutes later; still didn't feel anything. Pumpkin appeared to sleep in my arms.

Third time I checked, I felt a plop. Soft-shelled egg laid right in my hand.

Now I know what they look like when trying to pass one and now I know you can accidently, maybe on purpose, help them to pass it.

Learn something new every day.

2. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Wow! Is she fine now? Or still feeling puny?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awww! Poor thing.. she was probably hurting trying to pass the egg. [​IMG]
    Good job helping her, mom. [​IMG]
    Keep an eye on her now... hopefully her eggs will harden up so she can pass them easier... [​IMG]
    They say Tums helps them??

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:She's been laying pretty regular for a couple weeks now. Once I knew what was the matter with her I just chalked it up to still being a relatively new layer and having some kinks to work out of the egg factory.
    She appeared to feel much better as soon as she got that thing out of her. [​IMG]

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Thanks for sharing. Poor pumkin.... I'm a newbie too so I'll keep a look out for this. So far I've been very fortunate with no illness or traumas. My chicks have been waiting to mature fully before laying. A long wait but healthier for them w/o prolapses etc.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sure, that's why I wanted to share it. I suspected several things when she started acting weird, but a soft-shelled eggs wasn't one of them. Knowing what the behavior meant could have saved me alot of worry.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gritty,

Feel like a chicken midwife?

Impy

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I had a broken, soft shell egg under the roost this morning when I went out. The shell (very soft) was off to the side and the white had picked up a fair amount of shavings. the yolk was in the same general area covered with shavings, so I don't think anyone ate any of it. I have 5 laying pullets, but the shell was a different color than any of the layers, so I suspect it is from my Partridge Rock (who hasn't officially laid an egg yet). She was acting just like you described yesterday. I'm hoping that the next one will be in a nest box and have a hard shell. Like you said, working the kinks out.

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Personally, some might find it laughable, but I think chickens have cramps - just like we do. When they are "newer" layers - I don't think they totally understand what and why they are cramping.

A couple of my girls even whine when laying.

I am so glad Pumpkin is feeling better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by