AY AY AY AY Scaly Leg Mites

Oct 26, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
I have 15 chickens and 2 ducks. The majority of my chickens are showing early and late signs of scaly leg mites. No raised scales on my ducks. Can ducks get scaly leg mites? I already have 2 birds who were with a breeder before I adopted them and they had previously had scaly leg mites. The breeder used very harsh chemicals (Adam´s flea and tick spray) which caused one of the hens to lose all her toes on one foot and one toe on her other. They have no raised scales because they have no scales from their sad previous EGG~sperience with the breeder.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Raised scales on most birds. None on the booted birds yet, only CL. I live in an area with many a wild birds that bring in lots of lice, mites, and parasites. I am already dealing with head feather lice. I recently added a new hen to my flock and she has swollen legs and feet but I can not tell if she has raised scales, or scaly leg mites.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I just noticed about a month or so ago but it must of been longer.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Yes. Almost all the birds.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, but my secondary rooster has the most raised scales and they look slightly painful.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Wild birds. I doubt it was the hen I introduced because they seemed to maybe have slight signs before that.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, they are definitely eating and drinking.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poops are firm with white caps. Most are green from their diet. No runny poos EGG~cept, cecal poo.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
When I first noticed it on my second rooster I soaked his feet and legs in warm, soapy water and then I dipped his legs and feet in olive oil twice. As I brought him back to the flock I noticed his favorite hen had it so I did the same with her. I left it be since then. When the birds were foraging this morning I noticed his feet and not much better and lots of other hens also had signs. I washed all their feet and slathered them in soap and oil, and put them back in the run.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
No vet. I already brought the hen who lost her toes to the vet. (They saved her life! Thank you my avian vet!) I am thinking I need to clean the coop and use more oil.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pictures soon.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
All the chickens sleep in a coop, with aspen shavings, 2 roosts, and 3 nestboxes. My ducks sleep in a hutch with straw. The coop needs to be cleaned any day now.

10 or so of my flock is SQ and shown regularly. I already lost a show bird to the missing toes and scales. I am very sad that all my tabletop Seramas have signs and my Second rooster who is in the worst condition is a SQ Serama.

Back
Top Bottom