Ayam Cemani Chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Blue Eager, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    I can not begin to tell you how fortunate I feel to have found these only a couple of miles from my home. The owner purchased the hen & rooster from a lady in Colorado who had to sell due to covenants in her neighborhood not allowing roosters/chickens. They are direct from Greenfire Farms & are absolutely beautiful!

The chicks are literally days old & are healthy as all get out. I did a lot of research here on BYC in preparation for their arrival so they could go directly into their brooder w/o skipping a beat. Hopefully I planned well. However, I would be grateful to anyone who can offer advice to ensure their survival.

Thanks BYC!

Marty

Attached Files:

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    What beauties! I have some Ayam Cemani's as well :love

I would bed the chicks on pine shavings or paper towels towels, though (paper towels have to be changed quite often). Newspaper can cause splayed leg.

Do you have a feeder and waterer for them?

They're soo cute!! :ya

3. Theyre beautiful!!! I'm so jealous of you! :lol: I've wanted some for so long.

Mraya and drumstick diva like this.
  4. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you for the kind words!

Their brooder is 2'x4' & their water supply & food is there but out of view. I beak fed them warm water & will continue to do so until they find the water supply on their own (with my help of course), & I placed their food on the surface of the newspapers until they get accustomed to using their food trough. Good tip on the paper towels . Will remove the newspapers in the morning.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  5. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    RodNTN I would love to see your Ayam's. Please post pix.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your chicks are beautiful and so nice and dark . Usually you just gently dip their beaks in the water and they will start drinki

venymae likes this.
  7. Mraya

Mraya Songster

May 6, 2017
    Walkertown,NC
    Might be easier to put the paper towel over the newspaper.

Edit to add: I start mine off with pine shavings under paper towel.

8. Blue Eager

Blue Eager Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    South of Albuquerque, NM
    I am happy to report all the chicks are doing well this morning. Placed paper towels in their brooder & made sure all are eating & drinking their water.

I am not sure if sexing by wings holds true for Ayam Cemanis but here are close ups of each of the 6 chicks. If anyone knows please chime in.

My uneducated guess...3 males & 3 females, or 1 male (#4) & the rest females.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  9. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Okay, paper towels are great but if you don't want to change them as often you can buy some pine shavings- GREAT bedding :) :thumbsup

Okay, will post in a sec ;)

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    I have never sexed using that method, so I can't give you any answers on that. I just wait until they're 4 to 8 weeks and then you can tell.

Here are my Ayams:

IMG_9143.JPG

IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9058.JPG

IMG_9149.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

IMG_9004.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_9135.JPG

sassysarah123 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: