AYAM CEMANI - Pure Black chicken, inside and out!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 20, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Does anyone here on BYC breed or even own this majestically breed?
    It has totally engulfed me and I am seriously considering moving to American or Indonesia ( from Aus ) just to own a chicken!!!

Anyone who doesn't know of this breed MUST!

This breed of chicken originates from Indonesia. It has jet black ink feathering with a green or purple sheen, it's skin is black and if you cut open this crazy black bird you will find all it's organs, muscle and bones to be black. The only 'light' this bird has is it's cream - off white coloured eggs.
    This bird is also known as the "Lamborghini of the chicken world."
    This bird is so rare and sought after for it's 'magical' properties that a breeder in Indonesia sells his stock for $2,500 PER, yes that is PER BIRD!!! and $5,000 for a pair and yes, he does sell them and often.

I now believe there are stock in America that where brought over from Indonesia despite the USDA export ban on importing live chickens from Indonesia.

Greenfire Farms has stock here -----> http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/ayam-cemani/ not sure how much they sell them for but you do have to place a $100 deposit on the selling birds.

Here is a picture of an Ayam Cemani rooster.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Their price is listed at the bottom of the posting, just below the video... at 4999.00 a pair.. A little to expensive for my taste!

But keep us posted if you buy one!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    you can buy a box of 6 hatching eggs for £150 on Ebay

4. cluckcluckluke

Ahh, so they are the same pricing as that Indonesian breeder.
    5k for a pair is just ridiculous. But I suppose if you managed to breed quality offspring ( very hard ) then you would make your money back easily.

$200 for a half dozen, that's very cheap for the pricing I have seen. I wouldn't be able to get them into Australia though, our poultry import and export is horrible...we accept NOTHING[​IMG].

5. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Sorry to hear that, but there are lots of beautiful birds to choose from! :)

6. cluckcluckluke

Yeah but a lot of the ones I seem to want are not in Aus.lol.

7. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe being a specialized chicken importer could be a good business for you!

1 person likes this.
  8. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

not at our quarantine pricing - and we are only to import fertile eggs from pre tested flocks and then hatched here and tested every few weeks - one chick with disease and the entire flock is put down. happened recently

not to mention the facility to do all this is booked solid for 5yrs and tentatively booked for 9yrs

not worth the effort money or heart ache

9. cluckcluckluke

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I know this breed is black from inside to outside. I just curious if the blood also black. Can someone tell me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by