Ayam Cemani roosters with floppy combs

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I have some Ayam Cemani roosters that I got from Dragonfly Farm in Hillsborough, NC that have floppy combs. I’m new to the breed and these are my only roosters, they are 6 months old. Is there any chance their combs will straighten as they get older? If not I’m planning to cull or rehome them if their combs are not going to improve.

Attachments

• 30CA6D41-4A5D-435C-AF58-FCE9ADBA27EA.jpeg
    30CA6D41-4A5D-435C-AF58-FCE9ADBA27EA.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 95AF90BB-404C-4D57-8C64-49B036E6E0AB.jpeg
    95AF90BB-404C-4D57-8C64-49B036E6E0AB.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 148
I have seen this very common in hens, such as Leghorns. I'm not sure about roosters, though. It may be a sign of health issues.
Are they eating, drinking, and moving around well?

@Eggcessive @JacinLarkwell @Overo Mare
Not experienced yet. My male Had a nice comb, but it wasn't overly large or flopped at all

They are perfectly healthy otherwise. I did some more research and asked around, it seems this is an undesired genetic trait for this breed. Their combs should stand straight up, most breeders try to breed this trait out.
I believe you're correct - just an undesired genetic trait. Nothing wrong with him.

I have seen this very common in hens, such as Leghorns. I'm not sure about roosters, though. It may be a sign of health issues.
Are they eating, drinking, and moving around well?
They are perfectly healthy otherwise. I did some more research and asked around, it seems this is an undesired genetic trait for this breed. Their combs should stand straight up, most breeders try to breed this trait out.

My line of AC are cursed with floppy combs as well. Out of about thirty chicks hatched this year it appears that every one of the offspring will have a floppy comb. There's nothing to select from.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get rid of all of them; young and old. Black stringy meat doesn't seem to be the family's favorite dinner. There isn't much interest on Carig's List. They might just go into the dumpster. Lesson learned..... I hope.
Perhaps see if a zoo would be interested for their carnivores? I'm planning to contact them next year for extra males

I agree… A floppy comb can be bred out in a couple generations if the Roo is perfect fibro expression wise and every other way… but since he is showing mulberry he would be definitely one to cull. Not good for breeding with any reddish tones at all. 😉

Back
Top Bottom