ayam cemani x orpington chicks 1 spraddle legged?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Double Kindness, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    Hi! I have these teensy weensie chicks that my friend gave me of her recent hatch from her cemani hens. It seems there was an orpington in the henhouse!

I have no experience with day old chicks yet! My friend and I have svart honas chicks otw soon, and they aren't inexpensive. So, since these aren't the pure breed ayam cemani, not that the suspected chick papas orpington roos were rather handsome, I get to "practice" on these.
    [​IMG]

1 of these has a problem walking, possibly spraddle legged? My friend had a splint thing going with a band aid and I cut it in half this morning after talking with her about it. I just checked on them and changed the bedding to woven microfiber mats so I'm hoping the little guy can get a better grip, as it won't stay in the towel lined tiny cup and my bf hurt himself with the power drill Saturday building my new enclosed chicken run and setting up the coop for the 26 itty bitty peep peeps that were getting too big for my brooder boxes.

Yes, we're going about this a bit backwards. With starting with pullets, then a hen, then a grown Semi-quieted rooster, then 3-4 week old chicks to days old chicks. Next hatching eggs! #chickenmath

I'm waiting for my bf to get off work and run to the store for the vetwrap? The stuff to kinda get his legs braced. He can stand on one leg, but not both? He seems to fall asleep a lot and isn't as advanced and sturdy as his littermates are, but I'm hoping to not lose any of these! Any advice would be great, as I have no clue really what I'm doing yet.

After that picture was taken I changed the lining on the bottom to the square woven microfiber mats I found that were extras to my steam cleaner thing I never ended up getting farther than out of the box. The washable pads are coming in handy atm!

These little guys/girls made it through the night and this far into my first 24 hours learning how to take care of baby chicks.

I have them on medicated chick starter, chick grit, nutridrench in their water, wetting their food with nutridrench water, in a rubbermaid tub that's about 2.5 feet tall and about as long as my bathtub. There's a 250w red heat bulb above them, and a thermometer inside.

They seem to like it between 90-93f. Otherwise they peep very loudly, or fall asleep all spread out like I sprinkled dead chicks in a brooder box above 96f. Silly chicks, but I'm paying attention to what they seem to be telling me. I have the window opened a crack and there's a big gap under the bathroom door for ventilation. Toilet seat down, but I have a bunch of plants and potting soil in my bathtub. Yes I'm crazy obviously.

We're getting more pine shavings tonight for them later on to use early next week. Maybe. And vet wrap, pipe cleaners, laundry detergent & fabric softener and bigger feeders. My 26 chicks outside can't fit their heads inside the slots to clean out the feeders, so I took them off. I'll clean them well and sterilize them before I put the chick starter in it in the brooder box.

After my bf gets home and I have extra hands I'll take and post more pictures.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
  3. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I'm going to try to upload these picts I just took.

This is the one that is spraddle legged? He can stand on one leg, gets around, but gets tired easily [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hmm. Hard to tell. Could you get a pic of him "standing". I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and use spraddle leg treatment.

5. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    Hahaha yeah. Try to get a picture of him standing results to him hopping off or blurry pictures. I tried flipping him over to show, but he flipped back over by himself[​IMG]

6. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I can't seem to get a hold of him (squirmy sucker) to tape up the bandages closer so he can get those muscles strong enough. So I have to wait 3 more hours for my bf to come help get it done.

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    It does look like one of his legs a little bit splayed. Just make sure you don't cut off his circulation!

8. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    His circulation is ok, but the bandaid should be taken off tonight and replaced with vetwrap, which I forgot at my friends house yesterday. I thought we had some, but I guess not, and bandaids got all used up this weekend when my bf built the new enclosed chicken run & a power drill slipped and went into his arm.

9. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    He/she can stand on one leg fine. But the other is all off to the side.

I'm hoping to not lose any of these chicks.

10. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I think it's not splayed leg but a deformed hock joint. Now what?

I've been nursing this chick, he's feisty and has one good leg. I'm feeding him lots of raw egg yolk and nutridrench infused water via dropper about 8 times a day.

When my bf got home we got new bandaging and cut and peeled off the bandaid and put the legs closer with the new bandage wrapping after he carefully looked over this one chick.

I would hate for it to die, but I don't want to cull it. Could this chick have an ok life?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by