Ayam Cemani

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guitartists, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Never heard of it, but it sounds like a cool-looking bird. Black blood, though????

3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sure that's probably the superstition part.

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, that's amazing! I like the second rooster picture, it's amazing how utterly black they are. Crazy! Black combs and everything...

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Thats sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I like their black combs, they're like the sumatras I'm getting soon, only with a leghorn like body.

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

No superstition involved at all, folks. They are just as described.
    I don't have any. But I know of some folks that have some high percentage birds. They are basically a compilation of all the darkening genes available, (E, extended black allele; willow shanks, gypsy faced, fibromelanotic) and maybe another kind of fibro-like gene. I imagine it would be fairly easy to make a bird that dark using black silkies, sumatras, and some basic knowledge of genetics. If anyone is interested in this project let me know and I may be able to get you started in the right direction. I think it would be cool to have a longtail peacombed version of this bird.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hey Guitarists -
    Did you try emailing the lady with the Cemani page on 'feathersite'? She may be able to tell you where to get eggs. Jan Steverink is her name.

Lisa

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm not set up to do anything with eggs right now... figured I would look into it once I get situated in the country.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by