Aylesbury Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickies-duckies-etc, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I am interested in them and in potentially getting some. I have learned some about them but would like to know if anyone has or does raise them and what your opinions are on them. There seems to be very little here in the States either the information or the ducks. Google only brings up UK sites.

I have had muscovies for a few years now and would like to get another breed as well as the scovies.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I used to go to school in Aylesbury, England. I think that they are the ducks that I used to see swimming in the canal. I never owned any, but I did admire them.

3. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    arent they just peking ducks? lol thats what they look like!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Many are now crossed with Pekins, but pure Aylesbury are different.

5. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    If I understand correctly, the aylesbury is the main meat duck in the UK. The pekin is the US version, but there are differences. Because of their being crossed, it may be difficult to find pure aylesbury in the US. But that is one of the things I would like to find out, if the pure aylesbury is available in the US. And how I could get some of them.

6. SFIcelandics

SFIcelandics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Yes, they are available in the USA. I do have some of them currently, but I will have nothing for sale this year, maybe some eggs or ducklings for sale next year!

These are top show quality ducks, purebred, and come from IMPORTS from the UK!

They are very rare in the USA, but I was lucky enough to get some from a breeder here in the state who actually imported them, I love my aylesbury ducks, and they are HUGE!!!

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have a drake out here in Australia.. He is massive and a big sook most of the time when his hormones arent making him bite and chase my feet.. He loves cuddles and will wander in the house if the back door is left open. I have been trying to source him a mate from a different breeder which is proving very difficult. I want to breed some purely because they are a rare breed but I have concerns about who may buy them- I dont like the idea of any of my babies ending up dinner.

1 person likes this.
  8. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Aren't the truly pure ones supposed to have a pink bill? I looked into these too. Would love to get my havnds on one. Do they hatch out well? How much would egss cost, FYI?

9. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have an Aylesbury drake and he has fleshy pink bill and legs he's a cheeky little chap, will do anything for peas and is much quieter than my runner duck and cayugas. Pekin ducks look similar. I would highly recommend them I hatched mine from a single egg I got he was 5 days late but no problems [​IMG]

10. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I would love to get one. They are wonderful from all I hear. But alas, you're in the UK and I'm in the USA. Chances of me getting a true Aylesbury are slim. I would love to have a breeding pair though. [​IMG] When I was young we used to live in Blechley (not sure of spelling), we moved back to USA when I was like 6. But we loved living there and we were treated very well. We had so much fun there. My first teacher, knew I was nervous about being there and I started crying because it all was so new, I was like 5. She picked me up and rocked me while she read us a book. That is my first real memory of there. It was a very nice experience. Sorry to go on a tangent, just made me remember when....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by