Aylesbury/Pekin fertility?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by meridian35, Mar 2, 2017.

1. meridian35

meridian35 New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Malpas, Cheshire, uk
    I have two female and one drake all aged around seven months. The females are laying well but when I collected them and incubated them they weren't fertile when candled on day 6. I have done this twice now, twelve days wasted! (I know it's not my handling of the eggs because my Campbell's have a 100% hatch rate).

Is there a way to tell fertility earlier?

Also I have three female runners and they are all in with the other ducks. Will my Aylesbury and Campbell drakes mate with them? Maybe it's too early in the year, maybe they've lost their mojo? Any thoughts appreciated

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can try this, it works for my Ducks....

I use rubber stock bowls filled with water for breeding and my kiddie pool...Ducks have a way easier time breeding in water.....I always wait till around day 10 to candle my Duck eggs...Out of 19 eggs, 10 were fertile and all 10 hatched.....You could crack open and egg before you incubate and look for a bullseye in the yolk .......I have never bothered to do that....

Best of luck with your breeding and hatching.....

Cheers!

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    You can tell if eggs are fertile by cracking them open- a fertile egg will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there is a bullseye on the yolk which means that the egg is fertile.

4. meridian35

meridian35 New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Malpas, Cheshire, uk

So if one is fertile, they probably all will be? How quickly after laying does the bullseye appear? I have seen them in my Campbell eggs when I've candles them early on day 2

5. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    If one egg is fertile then most of the others that she lays will be- a duck can stay fertile upto 2 weeks after mating with a drake. The bullseye will be there from before the egg is layed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by