Aylesbury seems to have balance issues and falling over for no reason, scared for them

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Frisco, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Frisco

Frisco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    Hi ,i really need some else's advice on this:
    For the last week both my aylesbury which are around 4-5 months have been trouble standing and balancing there pen is quite slippery with the wet and soggy weather and that is all we have had for the last week and also 3 weeks ago i had recently clipped there wings there bedding is dry and i give them fresh water daily but even with that they just keep falling over and today i went to put them to bed and it looks like one of them had ben on its back for ages but i cant tell if it was just before i went outside or an hour or 2 before that. But it looks like the duck's with the lighter beak (which i think is a boy,havent had them sexed)is the one which fall's over the most and it looks like it just falls over it own feet but i really dont know , but what worries me is that when they fall they cant get back up so they could go into panick but i dont know so if someone could help me please i would really appreciate it,

many thanks to anyone who have time to answer

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, sounds like you need to do some work on the pen.

It needs to drain so that it is not wet and slippery.

I would get them into a safe utility room for a day or two - you need time to assess their condition. Are they slipping only due to the wet and muddy? Or do they also need some different nutrition?

Especially that one that was on his back for so long - that is not good, as you know, and I would want to really spend a little time with them and see how they are doing. Have they sprained ankles?

3. Frisco

Sep 13, 2014
    Hi thanks,For the reply but i am new to ducks so could you tell me how i know if they have sprained there ankle

4. Frisco

Sep 13, 2014
    ??

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Generally, limping while on a level, no-skid surface is a clue, also sitting down quite a bit.

Aylesbury ducks need to be managed to reduce risk of injury to their legs - this is due to their weight, and possibly genetic factors, I would think.

So, things like making sure they have a no-skid surface to walk on, no wire cage bottoms without good soft bedding on top, keeping the bedding decent (no way we duck people can keep it clean all the time, these are ducks!). If they have a kiddie pool, make a ramp in and out so they don't have to hop and scramble in and out of the pool. Time in the pool, floating, getting the weight off their legs is something I would definitely do every day possible.

Good nutrition to keep bones strong (proper amounts of calcium and phosphorus, in addition to a balanced ration and fresh greens), and just checking in with them.

Sprains can be treated with Epsom salt compresses. Please be careful of Epsom salt baths - ducks drink their bathwater and E.s. is a laxative!!!!!! If you don't want to make a compress, then get a flat-bottomed bucket or large unbreakable bowl that the duck can stand in without reaching the water to drink. Then put the Epsom salt solution in the bucket and gently hold the duck while it stands in the bucket. About ten minutes, or as long as you both can stand it, three times a day ideally. Sprains take days and days to heal sometimes (I speak from experience).

There is good information here about raising ducks - check out the Stickies section.

Two books I like are The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook, and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

Please keep us posted!

6. Frisco

Sep 13, 2014
    Thank you we have done what you have said and taken them into a dry and cool place where there is a pool to go in and out of with a ramp so iwill see how that goes and keep you posted
    many thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by