aylesburys experts needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, May 22, 2010.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

so im getting some 1 day old aylesbury crosses in 2 weeks, how big do aylesburys crosses get ( crossed between campbell or cougua ) when they are old enoth can they have short swims in our pond with fountian, fish and a toad in? what do i feed them, and can they be brooded in the garage?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its hard to say now how big a cross will grow- It could be anywhere form the size of a KC or Cayuga to a full booded Aylesbury. I know my boy who is now a year old is huge. They can be broodered the same as any other duckling- and like other ducks they may well try to eat the fish in your fountain while swimming.

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:i love Monty [​IMG] lol

4. animalloverabh

ok thank you,so is that a big no no to the pond? and can ducksbe brooded in the garage

5. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:if you brood them in your garage, make sure it is plenty warm in there and make sure you have a lamp. ducklings need to be kept very warm or they will chill and it can be fatal

6. animalloverabh

Quote:if you brood them in your garage, make sure it is plenty warm in there and make sure you have a lamp. ducklings need to be kept very warm or they will chill and it can be fatal

so how many degrees would the garage temp have to be? they will have 2 60 watt lamps there too.

7. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room

so how many degrees would the garage temp have to be? they will have 2 60 watt lamps there too.

i wana say 80-90 but don't quote me on that. i just leave my room extra warm. i have a heater in here and they have a red heat bulb too and also a stuffed animal

8. animalloverabh

hmmm seeing as its a bit cold in the garage, i would say 50 to60 degrees or watever you call it....cant remember lol.......anyway...oh yeah...and would that be too cold, as they will have heat lamp as well that gets to about 70-80...or would itjust be safer to keep them in the house as i dont have a heater in the garage

9. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i am a worry wort so i would feel safer with mine inside. and they are lol beside my bed lol. i probably would keep them inside. it's warmer. i know garages can get quite cold

10. animalloverabh

Quote:ok now all i have to do is pursuade my mum to let them in the house [​IMG]
    btw, i wish i was alowed to keep ducks in my bedroom...that would be sooo cool!

Last edited: May 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by