1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

aylesburys: how destructive in the veg garden?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leannajones, Jul 26, 2013.

1. leannajones

leannajones Hatching

May 21, 2013
    what we want from our ducks are:
    1) eat slugs and grubs from around the veg
    2) eggs
    3) possibly meat, but we might get too fond of them

we were going to get indian runners as we heard they were the best for eating slugs and not eating veg.

but now someone has approached us who wants to keep aylesburys on our garden. it would be really helpful to have someone else doing the duck-keeping work, while we still get our slugs eaten and some of the eggs.

but will aylesburys trash the garden / squash the plants / eat the veg?

2. leannajones

leannajones Hatching

May 21, 2013
    - and if we need to fence off vulnerable areas of the garden - how high, and strong, do the fences need to be?

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    I would tell you from experience that they will trash whatever part of the garden you let them into. If it is flowers,they will trample them, if it is veggies they will eat many of them. And the leaves of the low growing ones will be pooped on. A LOT. The fences don't have to be high for non flying ducks, I'd say about a foot or so, but they do have to be strong, my Muscovies can push things over that I would not have thought they could have.

And about living in the garden, they will still have to be cared for as they will need a pool, possibly additional food, drinking water and above all a secure sleeping area. If they live full time in the garden, they will be the proverbial sitting ducks for any and all predators that are in the vicinity.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. leannajones

leannajones Hatching

May 21, 2013
    thanks, that's a good reality check re: destruction.

we have a big pond for them to free-range in during the day, and we would also provide them with a child's pool for when they are enclosed in their run. and they would be cared for properly in terms of food, water and coop.

so - if we have to fence off half the veg garden from them, they will not be catching the slugs from those areas of the garden. they will only be able to catch slugs from the grassy/overgrown areas, paths, and newly created or recently cleared beds, and among fruit trees and bushes. i'm just wondering if it's worth it, will their activity in the rest of the garden still dramatically reduce the amount of slugs eating our veg?? we are in the UK so slugs are a BIG problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: