[b][/b]Roundup/weed killer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hixnstix, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hixnstix

Hixnstix In the Brooder

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    How long after applying roundup or weedkilller to an area should poultry stay away?? One of my neighbors use it and sometimes my girls go for a visit. Don't want them to have a last meal in his yard!!!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    did you ever find an answer to this? I need to know too!

3. Hixnstix

Hixnstix In the Brooder

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    Your reply was the only one??? Someone should know??????

4. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I don't use round up but the utility guys came out to spay under the power lines with their industrial weed and tree killer and they told me that once it dries it is ok for the animals to be around they spray every 2 years here and i have never lost a bird to it

5. rossco1

rossco1 Hatching

Dec 11, 2010
    SUNSHINE COAST/QUEENSLAND
    i spray my avocado orchard regularly with roundup, but do try to keep it 20 or 30 metres from the pens. there are 70 odd birds that free range all day and ill quite often see them 2 or 3 acres away so pretty much a sure bet that some of them would be nibbling on the sprayed weeds. personally never had any problem.

ross

6. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    Shouldn't be a problem. Just keep them away from it until it soaks in and dries. I just sprayed a couple days ago and the chickens grazed across it about an hour later with no problems...

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Really? Wow...that surprises me! Thanks for the information!!

8. JoePa

JoePa Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Some say that they spray chemicals on their grass and then let their chickens eat the grass a short time later - then say that they had no trouble - but wait - you may have no immediate problem but what about down the road - you or your chickens may not drop dead on the spot but will you get cancer some time later from eating comtaminated food - that's the question -

9. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/glyphosate-ext.html

This
    article says hens fed massive amounts had no neurological effects, for what it's worth. I've never found any research saying it has long or short term harmful effects on chickens. I''m not saying I trust it completely, only that I can't find documentation that it will harm them. I have used it on the weeds just outside my chicken yard to control weeks for the electric fence. I'm sure the chickens got some from reaching through the fence.

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've been wanting to use some Roundup for some weeds that keep growing up through the stones in my driveway......I was always afraid to.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: