B/B/S OEG Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustPeachy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    So I was wondering, I see all these posts about having BBS orpingtons and such, is there any way for me to have BBS oeg bantams? What color birds would I purchase, blue or self blue? Are self blue the same thing as lavenders? I already have a black roo...

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    don't know if BBS is any different than blue, but after googling, they look blue to me... LOL...

in that case, you will only need some blue or even splash hens...

breeding blues is simple...

splash x splash = 100% splash
    splash x blue = 50% splash 50% blue
    splash x black = 100% blue
    blue x blue = 50% blue 25% black 25% splash
    blue x black = 50% blue 50% black
    black x black = 100% black

you can get a nice splash hen, and make 100% blues very easily... we have blues... i'm waiting for a nice splash hen to pair up to my khaki roo to make platinums or whatever... LOL...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also have blue giant cochins... but don't have pics of them...

HTH...

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:if you wanted to breed the BBS in OE you will want Blue OE, not Self Blue. here is are pics of Blue and Splash OE pullets. Not my birds but soem good representations of OE in the color.
    When selecting your birds, first off do not buy one that is not in your hand so you can see and inspect it carefully. Avoid birds with Red in teh hackle, rusty appearance to hackle or feathers in general, make sure the birds have good lacing slightly darker than the plumage color. as always never sacrifice type for color.

hope this helps.

Blue:
    [​IMG]

Splash:
    [​IMG]

4. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    Quote:if you wanted to breed the BBS in OE you will want Blue OE, not Self Blue. here is are pics of Blue and Splash OE pullets. Not my birds but soem good representations of OE in the color.
    When selecting your birds, first off do not buy one that is not in your hand so you can see and inspect it carefully. Avoid birds with Red in teh hackle, rusty appearance to hackle or feathers in general, make sure the birds have good lacing slightly darker than the plumage color. as always never sacrifice type for color.

hope this helps.

Blue:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_blue_p.jpg

Splash:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_spl_psalyerthumb.jpg

Do you know where I could find some hatching eggs of blue and splash that should yield good birds, I am having a hard time finding nice oe in my area.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma

hope this helps.

Blue:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_blue_p.jpg

Splash:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_spl_psalyerthumb.jpg

Do you know where I could find some hatching eggs of blue and splash that should yield good birds, I am having a hard time finding nice oe in my area.

The odds of buying eggs from anyone with good OE is very low. I would suggest looking up a few shows in your area this year, and attending, or contact a few of the breeders and showmen that have them they will be able to ship adult birds when the temps drop.
    It is hard to find anything this time of year with no shipping of adult or started birds due to heat, everyone is busy getting ready for the start of the fall / winter show season.

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
  7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

blue breasted reds are fun to cause you can mix with bbred and splash and have fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by