B/B/S or Lavender?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    In Orpingtons, which do you prefer? B/B/S or Lavender? Which color would you be more willing to buy hatching eggs of? Or chicks?

What pros/cons do you think each variety has?

I'm trying to decide wich color Orp I'd like to breed. I've got a Lavender pair now, but I'm honestly not dead set on breeding them/being a part of the Lav Orp project. I feel like the project in itself is a huge feat and I don't know if I can devote the time necessary to really enhance the variety. Or, on the other hand, I have no B/B/S Orps right now at all, so to give up my Lav birds and try to start breeding the B/B/S would present a whole new set of obstacles itself. Starting all over, where to obtain quality stock, etc.

Feedback?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I am ever a fan of Blue, Black and Splash.
    It, the blue gene, in my opinion, is a far more diverse gene and the possibilities of color combos that can come from the breedings of B/B/S is just more attractive to me vs. the lavenders. Don't get me wrong I also have lavender birds which I love to death...but prefer B/B/S. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Blues have always and probably will always be my favorite. But the Lavenders are just as gorgeous. That's what's making it hard for me!

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I like the BBS but am in love with the lavender. It does take a lot to surf around and find lines that are distant. It also takes time and money to hatch, hatch and hatch!
    My chicks........
    [​IMG]
    Yes, there is a really dark blue in there. I have three sets of chicks growing in this group, I have another set in the brooder growing out and yet another set in the incubator.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Gorgeous chicks! [​IMG]

Maybe I'll wait on Lavender until the variety is more established. I know hinkjc and wildsofpa are saying that they're almost to a point where they can stop calling them project birds, how long will it take for everyone to catch up though?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I prefer the BBS myself. I have one lav Cochin banty hen and I just like the variation between the hackle color and the body color on the BBS.

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA

Maybe I'll wait on Lavender until the variety is more established. I know hinkjc and wildsofpa are saying that they're almost to a point where they can stop calling them project birds, how long will it take for everyone to catch up though?

I'd say several generations yet. I know Jody and Charlie have been working diligently to improve and get to "type". I'm afraid there are plenty of folks out there who are just throwing some birds together and are breeding for quantity to sell over quality to improve. Like anything, you have to be very selective on what you purchase if you want the results to be of a certain standard.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I love them both equally. I can tell you this, though. Whenever I have people over ..... the ones they most admire are always the Lavenders.

9. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado

I'd say several generations yet. I know Jody and Charlie have been working diligently to improve and get to "type". I'm afraid there are plenty of folks out there who are just throwing some birds together and are breeding for quantity to sell over quality to improve. Like anything, you have to be very selective on what you purchase if you want the results to be of a certain standard.

I agree entirely. It really does take a lot of time and money to get the project birds anywhere close to type. I have hatched chicks, and chicks, and chicks and.......... to get a few that I have put back into my Golden Laced Orpington projects.

I also have B/B/S, White, Buff, and four sets of project birds (Lavenders, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, and Lemon Blue Orpingtons) and I really enjoy them all. I don't have a favorite in any of our birds as I have certain things that I really like in each group, however I like the Orpington breed a lot or I wouldn't have so many of them.

10. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I prefer, by far, the BBS orps. No offense to anyone, but I just don't find the Lavender orpingtons all that great. They mostly look like a dishwater grey to me and the Orpington "type" just isn't there. Of course, I prefer the English type, and the Lavenders are a long way from English type.

I agree that you have to be careful who you buy your birds from. I saw an auction on E-Bay (I think) or Eggbid a while back for Lavender orpingtons. The seller stated that her birds were "project birds" but that she did not really think they should be called "project" because "there was no difference that she could actually see between an Orpington and an Australorp" Yeah, so I REALLY want to buy birds from her, huh?

Here are just a couple of pictures of my BBS...my adult birds and some youngsters and chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by