B/B/S Orp owners/breeders - need your help chick's colors *Pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryMom, Jul 22, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    These chicks will be exactly one week old tomorrow. These are the six I hatched out from an ebay seller. I originally thought I had one blue and five black chicks. Well, the light grey one I thought was a blue is now getting a bit of white wing feathers and has a spot on it's head. And two of the black chicks have more coloring in them then the other black ones. I am thinking I have a splash in that grey one and two blues in the blackish with markings and then three black chicks. Please look at these pictures and tell me what you think color wise. I also have a feeling from their size (espeically leg size) I may have four roosters out of the six! LOL Figures! [​IMG]

All the chicks
    [​IMG]

black chick
    [​IMG]

Possible Blue Chick??
    [​IMG]

Two together...you can see the difference
    [​IMG]

Possible Splash??
    [​IMG]

I think the possible splash and one of the blacks is a pullet. I am sure I will know here in a month or so. LOL

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Looks like all blacks and one splash. Not sure on the sexes yet, give them a few weeks and post pics again. Good looking group [​IMG]

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I agree with Korfus Kluckers.

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I messed up thinking that light one was a blue and it really was a splash. The breeder told me that she has been fooled many times on her blues as they look black. Since their little wing feathers are just now coming in I noticed that the lighter black has a grey feather - as seen in the picture above. My only other experience with black chickens is our black sexlink - who has some red in her. Most of her feathers had come in black though. I guess it was wishful thinking that two were blues. Maybe next generation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by