B/B/S Silkie Genetics Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.M. Silkies, Sep 27, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I have read all about the standards of a white Silkie but it looks to me like there are some differences in the B/B/S. So here are my questions...

What color is the comb/wattles supposed to be?
    What color are the eyes supposed to be?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All silkies should have very dark eyes. Black is preferred. All silkies should have very dark comb & wattles. Black to mulberry; the darker the better. However, be aware that some plumage colours also dilute skin colour. In particular this is problem with cuckoo and buff birds, but it can also be an issue to a lesser extent with blue and splash.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have noticed that quite a few lavenders seem to have lighter combs and wattles as well. Suze, is this because lavender is a diluting gene?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sigi posted an interesting comment on the club website about lavender being a bit different than other diluters in that it deposits less pigment rather than chemically diluted pigment. In other words, if there are 4 units of pigment applied to a feather, with any other diluter, there would still be 4 units, but with lavender, there might be 1 or 2 units.

I am not aware of lavender diluting skin, but will have to read up on it. The E-allele makes a difference, too.

5. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    How much leniency is there in eye color? I noticed my roo had more brown eyes than black-- is that a major DQ?

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:no, rarely does a judge have or take the time to examine eye color on these crested breeds. Dark brown is perfectly acceptable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by