1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

B-day coming up and i want a dog: help me

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thechickman04, Apr 21, 2009.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    My 16th birthday [​IMG] is coming up this weekend and i want my parents to get me a new puppy. They have kinda said yes (i think [​IMG] ) my only problem is i cannot decide on what kind to get, and i can not find anyone around here that breeds puppies for a reasonable price.

I want a dog that is not really small but not big kinda just medium. One that is easy to train and wont want to harm my chickens. Does anyon ehave any suggestions? OR puppies for sale?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Check with your local shelters for a rescue animal, it's cheaper than a breeder, and a lot of times they have ones that are already potty trained and have had some basic obedience training. A lot of times shelters will allow you to bring in another dog/cat to test compatibility of animals, ask them if you can bring a chicken to test them with.

3. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Quote:Ya what they said. I think that is a great idea and then you can have one that may also protect your chickens from predators and its much easier than a puppy to deal with.

4. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i have checked our shelters website and most if not all the dogs are fully grown i am looking for one that i can raise myself

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I think it might be a good idea to get a definite yes before proceeding! After all dogs live a long time, and you can't take one to college with you! I tried- the officials didn't like it! [​IMG]

And if they okay it, a shelter dog is the way to go. Just have to keep looking for the right one.

6. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    I got the parents definite okay and i looked at another shelters website and i found this puppy...i kinda like the scraggly look

[​IMG]

what do ya think???

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

AWWE I love that dog I am a fan of that look to

8. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    That looks like a great one! Just be sure you start training him right away w/ your chickens!

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    he's cute go for him

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Terriers are not generally the best idea around chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by