1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

[b]List the name & protein percentage of the chicken feed you use.[/b]

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carolyn252, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

I'd like to know the brand names and protein levels of the chicken feed you all use for your laying hens. Maybe if this posting gets lots of responses, we can see which feeds are most popular and why.

Brand name of the feed you are currently using for your laying hens:

Any model or style name for it:(i.e., what does the manufacturer call it):

Is it crumbles or pellets:

Protein percentage:

Price for what quantity:

Do you use that feed in all seasons year round, or just in hot summers or just in cold winters:

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a hot season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a cold season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Do you use a different feed when the chickens are molting;and if so, what do you use then: (& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Is there anything that you particularly DO like or DON'T like about the feed that you're currently using?

If you used to use a different feed for laying hens, why did you switch to the one that you're currently using?

Where are you located?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Goodness, what a lot of questions! Is this a test? If I pass the test, can I have a cookie? [​IMG]

1. Shawnee Complete 18%

2. Mash (crumbles)

3. 18%

4. $8.55 for a 50# bag

5. We feed all year round - chickens have to eat every day.

6. We don't change the feed program with the seasons - but the chickens seem to eat more in the winter...

7. We do give the chickens warm water to drink when it's cold outside.

8. My girls haven't molted yet. We will likely add dry cat food as a treat when they are molting, to up their protein intake.

9. I can't say anything good or bad about what I'm feeding. My girls seem to like it, but I am not going to taste it to see if I like it - not even for a
    cookie [​IMG]

10. This is the same feed program our family has used for many years, with great success. My husband's grandmother didn't feed mash - she only fed what they raised themselves on the farm - oats, wheat and a bit of corn, along with soured milk and cracklins. We don't have time to raise our own feed these days, so we have to rely on commerically prepared feed.

3. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

Quote:You passed the test!! LOL. In lieu of a cookie, may I pass along an old family recipe for delicious cookies? (Note: it's not MY family's old recipe, but came to me via a neighbor who got it from another friend, who got it from.... So, I'm figuring it's SOMEBODY'S family's old recipe.) The finished confection is beyond delicious. YUMMMMM.

RECIPE FOR SAND TARTS COOKIES
    (These cookies have a very long shelf life)

4 Cups flour
    1 pound salted butter (very soft—soften in microwave; I cut the 4 sticks of butter, just out of the refrigerator, into small pats on a dinner plate then microwave at 20% power for a minute, at first, then as much as a minute more until the right consistency is achieved).
    2/3 Cup sugar
    2 Cups finely chopped walnuts (= 8 oz. package) (Note: I use an electric chopper—a small electrical appliance). Also, Trader Joe sells a 16 ounce package of walnut baking pieces for $3.99, much cheaper than any supermarket.
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Grease (i.e. Crisco) and flour cookie sheets (even for non-stick pans). Form balls approx. ½ inch (this can vary; it is not sacrosanct). You can place the cookies close together since there is not very much expansion. Each batch makes about 95 to 110 cookies depending how large you roll them. You will have 2 cookie sheets baking.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Use a PASTRY CUTTER for cutting in the butter last, after you have mixed the other 4 ingredients.
    To get the right consistency you may even want to use your hands near the end of the mixing process. DO NOT try cutting the butter in with forks; it will take forever.

Bake approx. 30-35 minutes @ 350ºF. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets and let cool completely. Roll baked cookies in sifted confectioner sugar.

IMPORTANT NOTE Re cooking time: At 30 minutes check your oven. The cookie sheet on the bottom shelf tends to cook in 30 minutes. The sheet on the top shelf may need 3-5 minutes more. Also, non-stick sheets tend to cook a bit faster than a regular sheet, which is why I place my non-stick sheet on the top shelf. I remove the non-stick sheet at 30 minutes, move the other sheet to the top and bake that for another 3-4 minutes. But ovens vary, as we all know. What works for me may not work for someone else. You do NOT want the bottoms of the cookies to burn.

NOTE: If you are ambitious enough to bake more than one batch in a day, then, for succeeding batches, you do NOT have to re-grease or re-flour the cookie sheets.

4. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Blue Seal Home Fresh Layer Feed (Crumbles)

16% Protein

Feed the same all year

$13.50 per 50 pounds (includes NY State sales tax)

No molting yet - don't know if I plan to change their diet during molt

Located north of Syracuse, New York

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I'd like to know the brand names and protein levels of the chicken feed you all use for your laying hens. Maybe if this posting gets lots of responses, we can see which feeds are most popular and why.

Protein percentage:

Price for what quantity:

Do you use that feed in all seasons year round, or just in hot summers or just in cold winters:

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a hot season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a cold season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Do you use a different feed when the chickens are molting;and if so, what do you use then: (& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)

Is there anything that you particularly DO like or DON'T like about the feed that you're currently using?

If you used to use a different feed for laying hens, why did you switch to the one that you're currently using?

Where are you located?

Brand: FRM Layer Crumbles
    15% protein
    I learned on the forum you need to also check the Lysine levels which FRM is .65% as this is important
    and Methionine which in this one is .35%
    My chickens are 6-7mos old and this is the only brand I use so far but I plan to switch to Layena because I learned here this might be more nutricious.
    12.95 per 25 lb sack does not include FL tx
    Mine molted prior to some of them laying the rest are FREELOADING probably till spring! I plan to use the same all the time.
    Jacksonville FL

I am switching because I want to give them the best quality of feed I can give them at a good price.

Sand Tarts are delicious cookies!
    Caroline​

6. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    1. King-Brand Feed (from King City, CA)
    2. Pellets
    3. 16%
    4. 10.99 on sale or 13.59 reg, for 50lbs.
    5-8. Year round no changes (I do toss them "hen scratch" sometimes)
    9. Love the feed, wish the bags were not so easy to snag a fingernail on, I keep mine short but still manage to have one tear a nail too short.
    10. When I had a smaller flock, I tried the feed at walmart called "Egg Maker", it smelled funny and the chickens didn't seem to like it and it was only 40lb bags.
    11. Lompoc, CA

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The only thing I can get around here that has more than 16% protein is gamebird feed

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:

9. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    ADM Pen Pals Eggmaker Complete

Crumbles / 16% protein

$11.00/50 lbs.

Feed all year but supplement with cabbage and BOSS+wheat sprouts in winter and lots of weeds and grass in the summer

Chickens like it, so I don't change

Waterford,PA -center of Lake Erie snowbelt

10. GA Peach in VA

GA Peach in VA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Purina

Flock raiser and Layena
    Both--mix them together
    Protein percentage:
    20% and 16%
    Price for what quantity:
    $13.99 and $11.99

Both--have a mixed age flock
    Do you use a different feed when your climate is a hot season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?) no--but they get to free range more during the summer and sunflower seeds.

Do you use a different feed when your climate is a cold season; and if so, what do you use then:(& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?) Add warm oatmeal in the mornings.

Do you use a different feed when the chickens are molting;and if so, what do you use then: (& is that instead of, or in addition to, the feed you listed above as your current feed?)Haven't gone through a molt yet

like it--may switch to a local feed from Co-op. Layer is cheaper there , but , will continue to buy the Flock raiser. Think my gang has nicer feathers and eggs color is better--IMO.

If you used to use a different feed for laying hens, why did you switch to the one that you're currently using? I used to buy from Co-op, but they only had 16% layer and I wanted 20%. TSC is closer than Co-op.

Where are you located? Snowbound VA!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by