1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

[b]Someone who knows what the *HECK* the are talking About![/b]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cats'n'Chicks, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Cats'n'Chicks

Cats'n'Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm new to all of this. I had these plans drawn up for a coop. they are revised based on comments i had here.
    it's for 8 chickens. the coop is 6x6 and run is 6x12.
    Feedback please. don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings :) I want to get this "right."
    Previous comments were invaluable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Great job so far. The only advice I could give would be to raise the height of the roosts. Chickens like to roost as high as they can get. I would put them about 18" under the ceiling. The people door - is it wide enough to wheel in a wheelbarrow?

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I know "what the heck I'm talking about !!!

Uh...could you repeat the question?

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You forgot the toilet:) It looks great, I would add as much overhang as you can on the roof especially over the run area helps keep it dry.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Not necessarily. Depends on the size of the bird. A big Orp would kill itself or break a leg trying to jump down from that height. No way mine could even get up there, much less get down. If you have bantams, yeah, high roosts are okay. So much depends on the breed/size of chicken. They like to look out the window when they roost, too.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    More windows are always good.

Keep the roost low if you will have heavy birds.

6x6 will cost the same to build as 8x8. If you have the room, go bigger.

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    good job...

2 things I had to rethink after doing mine....the door was not wide enough for a wheel barrow...duh....why would I need that ...uhmm well I know why now!!!!!! but you could just throw everything outside and then clean it up.

poop boards....again...that is just silly, they don't really need that.....now I am endlessly scraping poop off the side of the walls....Poop boards highly recommended!!!!!!

anyhow I like your design.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My input:
    You don't want your roosts too high if you'll have heavy breeds. Even with a chicken ladder, many birds will jump down, and it's hard on heavy breeds' legs.
    I'm not sure about the wheel barrow thing...I guess if you're planning on using the deep litter method that might be a consideration. I use dropping boards and have never had to worry about cleaning out my coop with a wheel barrow [​IMG]
    I totally agree with the 8x8 comment. We did a 6x8 coop, and later I was kicking myself. Pretty much all material out there comes in 8ft lengths. So why dispose of 2 ft. of it, when you could have a bigger area with the same amount of material???
    I can't really tell what your ventilation consists of in that picture. If you're in a cold winter area, you'll want ventilation besides windows so that the windows can be closed/covered during the winter (drafts), yet still have vent. up high.
    Another weather related comment. If you get much snow, make sure the pitch of your roof is slanted enough (and strong enough in the run) to deal with a snow load. That's not a big deal though if you get very little snow.
    I also agree that a bit of an overhang is nice...

9. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I think it looks great! You pretty much have everything covered. [​IMG]

10. Cats'n'Chicks

Cats'n'Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    what exactly is a poop board? (what does it do? Where does it go?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by