BA, JG, BS, or BM?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newham0614, Nov 29, 2010.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    [​IMG]

I'm stumped on what breed this is. Bottom of feet are dark colored so I don't know if I have a black australorp,jersey giant, or black maran. Maybe a black star. Can someone identify the black bird for me?
    Chicken on right with glossy green and purplish sheen.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    The undersides of the feet of JGs are yellow, whilst the undersides from Australorps are pinkish-white, if that helps [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Chances are, it is an Australorp. If it at all has a greenish tinge, too, it's an Australorp. Hatchery BA's tend to have a greenish hint at the bottom of their feet. Also, a Jersey Giant would be bigger than that.

Most definitely not a Black Marans, and Sex-Links have color on their chests.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Black Australorp! [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I was going to say Australorp too, except I have no idea what a black star looks like and didn't want to make a fool out of myself...[​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The greenish tinge will show up in any pure black chicken, but most likely your hen is an australorp.

Here's a couple of my Black Stars - you can see the green sheen in their feathers. Black sexlinks usually will have some brown on them on their chest or neck. Even my BS that looks all black in the photos has a tiny bit of brown on her chest (check your hen for any brown feathers). Most of my BSs had slate/gey legs, but a couple had some yellow mixed in too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my australorp, but the perspective is bad - her legs are not as short as they seem in the photo (pure black, grey legs, same size as other hens).

[​IMG]

7. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    Thank you so much for the info. I must have BA's . I have a couple of these.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are those partridge rocks in the pic? I don't know why but I just love the one on the left, she's certainly got a lot of substance [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by