BA or Jersey Giant?

monkeytreecreations

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 22, 2009
This is Nugget. S/he is supposed to be a pullet, but is almost twice the size of our BO who is the same age. Nugget is almost 5 weeks old his/her comb is just starting to show. What do you think? Is Nugget a girl or a boy and is Nugget a Buff Australorp or a Jersey Giant? Thanks!

32138_005.jpg

Nugget from the Front

32138_009a.jpg

My flock, Nugget is in the back, Belina the BO is in the front, Sweet Cheeks the EE is in the middle, and Petunia the BR is on the right.

32138_021.jpg

Petunia and Nugget (on the right)

Last edited:
Quote:
your post made me laugh!!! (S)he really is huge! Any Jersey Giant owners out there? I'd appreciate any more thoughts~

all right... after doing some additional research, I found several sites that say Jersey Giants have yellow feet bottoms and BAs have pink feet bottoms. What's your experience with this? Is it true with chicks and with "grown up" chickens?

My experience has been.........my two giant black chicks......just got bigger and bigger than the other chicks week by week. By 5-6 weeks I had a really obvious cockerel. And his feet are YELLOW underneath so he is a Jersey Giant.

The female is the same size and appears to be the same breed as him. She is huge as well. But her feet are a whitish color underneath. Which would make me think an Australorp.....

I did some internet research that said if it is yellow underneath it is ALWAYS a Jersey Giant. I tend to think that poor (hatchery?) quality JG may have lighter feet underneath.

So in other words...yellow feet? JG. White feet? Either or? Not positive. Mine are obviously yellow on my cockerel.

Here he is at 3 months old.

magnum1.jpg

You can see his yellow feet here.

magnum2.jpg

I will try to dig up some pics of mine at 5 weeks.

Jersey Giant - Shanks and toes black under part of feet Yellow

Black Orpington - Shanks and toes black under part of feet White

Australorps - Shanks and toes black under part of feet Pink..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom