1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BA roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by llnmaw, Mar 28, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Or no?
    6-7 weeks old (I'm starting to think 7 maybe 8)?
    She is soooooo huge and you will have to trust me that her legs are black and like tree trunks, but quite frankly seem to fit her body. (she never ever stands up when out of the brooder)

I posted pics of her a few weeks ago, but didn't get many takers other than if she is truly a BA or JG. So...any guesses as to that would be fun too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    ~Lauri

2. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    wow; that is a big bird for 6-7 wks old...mine are 5 wks and arent nearly that large!!!

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    she has the white under her wings like a BA, i dont know if JGs have that too. if she's 7-8 weeks her combs not THAT big or red and her waddle is pretty small.

4. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:I KNOW huh? I really am guessing on her age, but compared to our known aged chicks when they were tiny I've always put her at a week or two more.

She is fully feathered and GIANT! Our 5 weekers are much smaller compared to her.

~L.

5. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    mother o' chicks72 :

she has the white under her wings like a BA, i dont know if JGs have that too. if she's 7-8 weeks her combs not THAT big or red and her waddle is pretty small.

I'm correct in assuming that at some point the comb/wattle will turn red in chick-hood? It has just only begun to pink up and does not seem that big. Our BR has a nice red comb and wattles and I think he is a few days younger that our BA.​

6. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    yes the comb and wattles will eventually sprout(wattles) and turn red/pink(both). do you know if JGs also have white on the undersides of the wings?

7. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    No, I'd never even heard of JG until someone suggested that she was one. [​IMG] Google images here I come I guess!

I posted her chick picture and they were pretty certain. Want to see her chick photo? (she was cuter then....[​IMG] )

~L.

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    yes! I think she's cute now, but the little ones are just so tiny!

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That is one beautiful bird! I am no expert I usually take my guesses based on body shape (I don't know why, but it seems to work lol) & I think she looks like a she. [​IMG]

10. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:your good at guessing? take a crack at this one! she(?) is 5 and a half weeks old and is some kind of EE, no wattles and her comb is still yellow and smallish...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by