1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BA rooster with broken toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaveNay, May 6, 2016.

1. DaveNay

DaveNay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Northern Illinois
    This morning I noticed one of my roosters appears to have several broken toes. The situation does not appear to be impeding his dally life, but it sure looks uncomfortable. He was able to evade capture just fine without flying.

First time chicken owners, so I don't know if this is a reason to cull the rooster now, or if he will make it to slaughter weight in another 4-6 weeks (9-10 weeks old now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He probably has crooked toes from heredity or temperature fluctuation during incubation. When they are days old, it can sometimes be corrected with homemade shoe and taping. His foot pads are looking rough like he could be getting some bumblefoot on his toes, so I would make sure that he has clean pine shavings for bedding in the coop, and that things in the coop and run are dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by