Baaah! Big storm!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thefishery, Jul 19, 2010.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    It is storming so bad outside right now and my birds won't go in the run much less in the coop.

Do I need to try and catch them all and lock them in? Henny Penny is keeping them out of the coop.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:is jeffersonville in PA? That was the case of my friend in Telford, PA. Said, IT WAS SOOOO DARK OUTSIDE!

3. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:is jeffersonville in PA? That was the case of my friend in Telford, PA. Said, IT WAS SOOOO DARK OUTSIDE!

No KY. Luckily there were only 4 perched outside the garage. Took me forever to get them into the garage. The coop floor is flooded [​IMG] I had to take each one of them and put them on the perches. I don't know what is up with this bunch of chickens. They stay outside the coop rain or shine. They sleep outside on my husbands work bench right out in the open. Crazy birds! I put their food and water in the coop and I swear I don't think any of them are eating it [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Mine were out one day when a late afternoon freak BAD storm came up. I ran out to try to get them in the coop...no way! Then the lightening started really cracking and I yelled out to them "I hope you live through this, cause I'm gone!" We had straight line winds that broke the tops out of 4 trees, one just grazed my front porch! It totally blocked the whole front of the house, you had to climb over the rail on the end to get to the yard. I looked outside when it hit the ground and all my chickens were on my porch,literally blown up against the wall by the wind! I just knew somebody was gonna be killed! The storm blew through rather quickly and the chickens were fine...they were a little wet and frazzled but fine. I got some treats and bribed them back to the coop (but it was about that time anyway) and they were just fine the next day. So I wouldn't worry about them as long as they are in a safe place for the night.

5. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Good gravy that sounds like the storms that rolled through tonight. I had to get the guys and gals in the coop or garage or something. They were sitting on a huge metal work bench. I would have felt horrible if they got struck by lightning.

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    wow!!!

i wouldnt worry about them getting hit by lightning unless they are in the trees or roosting up high. electricity works throught he path of least resistance. if it were to strike, it would hit a tree or building or maybe even a larger vehicle first.

the only animal ive ever heard of getting hit by lightning was a dog chained to a tree. a heavy chain, .. idiots! first i dont believe in outside dogs, much less ones chained to trees .. or tied up. i hate it. its one thing to be on a run or in a run, but tied to something just looks awful.. i just think how bad i would feel even if ihad a rope long enough tied around my neck, even if i would be able to get to every corner in my house..

k rant is over!!!

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Catch them & lock them in the coop if you can. My 1 YO hen ran away during the stormSunday night. We've tried telling ourselves she's hiding out, sitting on a clutch of eggs. Guess my favorite hen is gone for good.
    There's Too many coons & foxes around here for her to survive out there in the brush.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by