BAAAWWWKKK are they all so vocal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherylcohen, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    We have 8 girls under 20 weeks old and just two more mature ones 4 days ago. The very next day the 25 week old gold-laced wyandotte laid our first egg and the next day too! yesterday no egg. I don't know if this is pertainent or not.

The real question is that she is so vocal. Loud baaawwwkkk for seemingly no reason while all my other younger ones make practically no noise except when they get flustered. Is this something that changes as the chickens get older. Do they get a bigger stronger voice.

It's not an egg song I'm hearing just long Baaawwwkks every minute or so Normal?

2. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    update...actually she's squacking about every 15 seconds or so

3. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    I think some breeds are "chattier" than others. My EEs rarely make a sound, the Sussex are more talkative, and the Faverolles NEVER shut up.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Just wait until somebody swipes somebody else's nest box and the swipee starts yelling and everybody else feels the need to join in. Pretty sure that's were the word cacophony must have come from.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. blacktailsmom

blacktailsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2009
    I have one that is very vocal. Not sure why, but she is the squeaky wheel. Even now she is out there wanting out of the run. Not happening now.

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have two GLW hatched 5/15 no eggs and very noisy, but I cluck at them when I see them so maybe they talk to me too! My SLW and my Barred Rock is also very noisy and always looking for treats?
    Caroline

Hoping for eggs soon from Dot and Lutzie my GLW

Jax FL

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine do that when they see me come out of the house. (or hear me, they know the sound of the door closing) It's the announcement to the others that there might be good stuff. They stand at the gate and wait for their treats.

8. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Well I think i may know what's going on...this was the first day that we put her and her buddie in with the others and I think she may have been trying to find a safe place to lay her egg, but there is a bully in the group and she probably didin't know what to do. She's never yet used the nesting box so I got her into the hen house by herself and she walked around squaking for quite a while and now has settled into a nesting box, completely silent just scraping at the shavings for now what must be 20 minutes.

How long do I have to wait for the bird song and for her to settle down and lay her egg???

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some of mine take as long as 45 minutes.

10. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Well that must have been it, while I was typing the last post she just stood up and left the box. Here was a warm perfect egg!!

No egg song though, just all the crazy squacking before?

Does everyone sing the egg song?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by