Babies adopted by a broody? Or just give up, and in the Living Room?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    OK guys, have some planning to do and need your thoughts!

My little flock has shrunk even more! [​IMG] I was able to find a wonderful home for my amazing roo (that was supposed to be a hen! :mad: ), but only after I finally offered him as part of a trio and gave away my 2 other Brahma girls too!

So now I am down to 3 Cochin babies that I LOVE LOVE LOVE! Gosh I love those Cochins! Anyway, 3 is not nearly enough for me, and anyway, my coop can do at least 10-14 of these little banties anyway!

So here's the deal-- I want to order more babies, but would like to stick them under a broody hen and have her raise them. Not only will it be easier for me (no shavings to vacuum up 3 times a day, no heat lamp to adjust), but there is a huge lesson for my children to learn about how an actual mama hen teaches and protects her babies. And also, because frankly, she will do a much better job of teaching them how to be chickens than I could!

The problem is not only do I NOT have a broody hen, my 3 babies are just 14 weeks old! So they will be laying soon, and hopefully, being as they are Cochins, will go broody sooner rather than later! HOWEVER, if there is not a great chance that they will accept babies being put under them at night and raise them as their own then I will just feed the Chicken Ordering Beast within me and order them now and raise them in the brooder in my Living Room!!

So it really comes down to this: Does putting live 2 day old chicks under a broody hen really work a vast majority of the time? Other than putting them under her at night, are there any other pointers that will increase her chance of accepting them?

Thanks!

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well...all I know is that as soon as folks order them, their chickens go broody. I guess thats Murphy at work. [​IMG]

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I will say that it will work though, I do this at night only.
    Now the only problem is that your broody may not be experienced if this is her first. so you will have to watch her.
    yes she may peck but this is normal but if it is violent then take the chick back out.
    This is my opinion gained from doing this twice.
    Im sure you will get some more hints
    good luck
    Helen

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    It could also depend on where she is in the broody cycle. I just had one reject eggs that were in the process of hatching. I put them under her, she rolled them back out. She had only been sitting for about a week at that point and was having none of the instant Momma trick.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yeah- I had heard that she must be sitting for a reasonable amount of time before you c an do that. I had a hen that was about 10 days and she took them happily. (Buff Orpington).

It has worked BEAUTIFULLY for us. I had two broodies raise two different hatches for me. Its a lot of fun to watcht hem raise babies. You just have to be careful she doesnt reject or hurt them. The upside is not haveing to incubate and watch them and play with them as she will do all that, the downside is that you have to separate her and teh babies so it was a pain to have to extra coops with chickenwire runs around.

If you leave a bunch of eggs in the nexting box you may get someone to go broody. That what did it for my girls both times. Im not sure how silkie are with that, I thought I had read they were good at it.

GOod Luck either way.

6. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    If the broodie you are talking about is to be one of your young 3 you have now, when they mature, I wouldn't count on it too much. It will take them a while to go broody, after they start to lay, which I don't think will be before 16 weeks, then she will be completely inexperienced. An older hen, who has raised chicks before, would be much more likely to accept chicks, in my opinon. I had a Marans sitting a couple months ago--her first time. she hatched 2 chicks, and as they hatched, she killed them, and ate part of them. and this was her own chicks, that she was hatching. Go figure. Good luck with whatever you decide to try. I would go for the living room, and wait till you have someone ready and let them hatch. JMHO.

7. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks for all your replies!

I wish we could let them just sit on their own eggs and hatch, but unfortunantly, we are not zoned for roosters and do not have any--- just the 3 girls. if I had an older hen, I would LOVE to do that with her, but alas-- just the 3 girls!

I am a bit alarmed as to the number of people that have mentioned that she might hurt the chicks. That is very worrisome to me. But I guess we will just have to see how it all plays out.

More suggestions appreciated.....

8. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    I have a broody buff which has an 8 day old chick. On Thursday I'm getting 11 day olds from Ideal. I'm also wondering about giving the day olds to 'Buffy' when they arrive. She has turned out to be a terrific mom with her little chick, but I'm not sure if she would acept 11 more. I love the idea of them being raised outside of a brooder. I do have the brooder all set up & waiting, maybe I'll just try a few to see the result.

2 RIRs,1 Welsummer, 3 Buff Orps, 2 Arucanas, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Barred Rock. & 11 more on the way. 2 West Highland Terriers, 1 Cockapoo, 1 DH, 2 kids, 4 grands.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I've done this everytime one of my girls goes broody, i've put them under them at night and during the day and had n o problems either way.[​IMG]

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    arw, I'm just wondering if you could get some hatching eggs, preferably local, to put under your girl when she goes broody. You could be looking/talking around now to locate someone, maybe a BYC member, then when your girl goes broody you could slip them under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by