1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies -- and first loss (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BeccaOH, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I've only been raising baby poultry since March 24, but I feel like I have a garage full of peeps.

First came 8 chicks and 2 BS turkey that are a month old and still growing well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the goslings and a couple more BR turkey. My friend lost some turkey from this batch, but mine are doing well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I let 6 Amber Link chicks from TSC hitch a ride home on the 17th.
    [​IMG]

Last night I picked up my long anticipated ducklings. I ordered a breeding trio of Welsh Harlequin, 2 female Khaki Campbell, and 2 Cayuga.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been so blessed to not have lost one baby -- until last night. I woke to find a KC duckling dead. I don't know why she died, but it really was heartbreaking to find one of my babies stiff and cold. I know it won't be the last lost in this poultry venture, but I just had to share my babies with you.

2. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    They are sooo darn cute! I've been tempted to get some ducklings for the sheer cuteness factor. I know I'll get raked over the coals for this, but ducklings are way cuter than chicks. Sorry to hear about your loss, it is sad [​IMG]

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cute Becca! [​IMG]

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:What are Amber Links? I have one that looks like that from TSC and I was told she is a Golden Comet. [​IMG]

Sorry about your baby. [​IMG]

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Lookat you all using pellets like a smart person! Arent they the best?

Those ducklings are ridiculously cute. So are the chicks too... They seem like candy. Like you could just pop them in your mouth and they'd melt. I havent tried any of my chicks, but I've been sorely tempted.

its the same effect as baby cheeks.

Sorry you lost your little fella. Some times things just dont make it. It'll be okay [​IMG]

6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Robin'sBrood :

What are Amber Links? I have one that looks like that from TSC and I was told she is a Golden Comet. [​IMG]

I'm not sure exactly what an Amber Link is, but the first bin TSC had was marked as "sex links and Amber links." I'm guessing "Amber Link" is some hatchery's name for their own production red cross breed. I have 18-week Golden Comets too, and expect these babies to grow up to be like those.​

7. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Well, another death in the brooder. I have 2 Bourbon Red turkeys that just hit 4 weeks old. One always seemed to stand in a corner and sleep. I would try to encourage it to eat with boiled egg and bits of green grass mixed with the food. Yesterday I started giving her droppers of water with molasses and ACV, though I've had that mixture available in a waterer with marbles to attract the turkey. Sometime during the night she keeled over.[​IMG]

On a good note, Metzer sent a replacement Khaki Campbell duckling for the one that died her first night with me. I can't believe how much my other 6 grew in a week! She looks so tiny next to them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by