Babies are eating shavings intentionally!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Here_littlepeepeep, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Here_littlepeepeep

Here_littlepeepeep In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2018
    Hey y’all. I’m a first time chicken owner. I’ve got 9 beautiful birds, 2 buff Orpingtons, 2 dark Brahmas, 2 ameracunas, 2 blue laced Wyandottes, and one white silkie. They are 3 weeks old and are INTENTIONALLY EATTING SHAVINGS (face palm) I haven’t noticed this behavior up until now. They have food (mash and dry both provided) and the mash is raised up, I provide grit although they love to dust bath in it and throw it everywhere. They will be scratching around and will eat the savings or they will jump in there food and they’ll all go crazy for whatever shavings fell into the food dish. Or they’ll find a “special piece” and they’ll fight over it. I’m confused as to why they’re doing this? And they perch on the edge of their brooder and all of there droppings end up on my laundry room floor (another face palm) and I notice there’s a few droppings that look to be almost solid pine shavings? Should I remove all the shavings for a few days? Thank you for all the advice and tips. I don’t want them to choke or end up having malnutrition.

2. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    If they have grit I don’t think it would be fatal. My 7 month pullets eat clean shavings sometimes and never show any signs of illness. They still lay perfect eggs and act like the sassy, spoiled chickens they are.

3. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I usually have my chicks on a towel or paper for the first few weeks then move them to shavings. They still may eat the shavings though...

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I've noticed mine attempt it but spit it out. Not sure what happens when I'm not sitting there staring at them.

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe if you changed type of shavings, they wouldn't be so tasty???? Chicks are weird.
    Maybe they don't like the particular feed they are getting.

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I stopped using shavings after losing a few chicks to choking on them. I use sugar cane mulch, hemp or hay now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: