Babies are hatching, up to 5 chicks now!!! UPDATE Pics in post 12!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken_china_mom, May 23, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I set 39 eggs from my own birds, and of those 39, 35 developed (pretty darn good I think!). Well, I put them on lockdown the 21st, and yesterday we saw our first pip. Today we woke up to see a chick had hatched. It was one of the 5 standard eggs we put in there. Everything else is bantam. Througout the morning and early afternoon we've had 4 bantam eggs hatch, and surprise! One of the chicks is white! Since black is the dominant color, and most of my bantam flock is varying shades of blue and black, to find a white chick means that my White Cochin roo is most likely the daddy! With one of my White Silkie hens. I've been hoping that he would get to be a daddy. He's so handsome! The other 3 bantam chicks are either black or silver. Hard to tell cause they're all still wet! But I have a bunch more pips, so I expect to have lots more babies as the day wears on. Tomorrow was actual hatch day, but every hatch I've had so far they started hatching early, so I wasn't surprised. This is the first batch I've put in of just my eggs from my own birds. I've slipped some of my eggs in with shipped eggs and hatched some chicks out, but this is the first time I've filled up the bator with my own eggs. It's exciting! Once everyone is out and dry, I'll take some pics. Can't wait to see what else I get! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good hatching vibes coming your way!!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Congratulations!

4. countryboy25

countryboy25 New Egg

May 13, 2010
    i know your excitement! we put 26 eggs on and they started hatching today [​IMG] its our first time tryin to hatch eggs and its an awesome feeling! we got one out now and a bunch of other eggs are cracked from where the little fellers are starting to hatch! this is pretty excitin!

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I'm so happy for you. I wish you all the best with your new babies!

6. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Thanks everyone. The 6th chick just hatched but it looks like some of the others that pipped this morning and early this afternoon are taking a nap for now, lol. I have some lovely little silver chicks, very pretty. Can't wait to see what else hatches!

7. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Update***

We now have 10 beautiful little babies, and more still pipping! Three more are zipping and should be out any minute! It should be interesting to see what hatches overnight! [​IMG]

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yeah You... Sleep with one eye open [​IMG]

9. chicksnchooks

chicksnchooks Chicken Little I am

Apr 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

How exciting for you!! [​IMG]

10. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:Lol, if I wasn't so exhausted tonight, I just might have! We're up to about 13 chicks now. Humidity spiked, so I'm hoping it doesn't harm the unhatched chicks. I lifted the lid a crack earlier when the humidity was 83% and got it down to 77%, but I think it's back up there again. It was cute cause as soon as I cracked that lid I had little faces right there looking at me. So I scratched a head or two, told them I loved them, and watched the humidity slowly climb back down. One little one that came up to me, I knew instantly that it's daddy is my Dark Brahma rooster because it has that same sleepy look to it's eyes that my rooster Cookie has. I tried a dozen different times to rehome that bird, but no one wanted him, and so he stayed. He still drives me nuts, but he sure makes purdy babies. [​IMG] He's my only Brahma, so I'll have to wait and see if the mom is one of my Silkie hens, or one of my Cochin hens. I see a bunch of Silkie mixes in there, and a couple of Cochins. All are adorable!!! Course I'll post pictures once everyone is done hatching. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by