Babies are moving out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chefchick, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    We FINALLY got our chicken coop and run ready for our 4-5 week old chicks to move in. My question is: Should they be allowed to use the run right away or should I keep the door to outside closed for a few days? We have 9 babies. The coop part is 6x6 and the run is 12x14 or so. Also- nights for the past couple of days have been in the low 50's. Do they need a heat light? they are currently living in our sunporch. We haven't used the heat lamp for a few days, but I am worried they will be cold outside. thanks for your help.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it were me I would not put the heat lamp on, although I'd be out there checking on them once or twice. Maybe the first day locked in the coop, but personally, I couldn't lock them in for a week or so, as I see others on here do. It might very well work better in teaching them to go in at night, but even so.... I'd rather bribe them in if I had to.

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think I would probably lock them in one day, and then start letting them into the run in the evening. Each day I'd lengthen the time in the run, until they are up to a full day. I've found mine need time in the coop to learn that it is home.

4. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    i would lock them in one night so the stress isnt all at once then if they wont go out make them unless its cold at night make them go in no matter the temp if they want to go back out after you put them in then put the door cover on let them in at dark and out at sunraise a week or so of this they will get the hang of it good luck

also lets see pics of your coop and run and babies!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by