1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies are out in the barn....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHChick, Jun 11, 2007.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    well, so last week my chicks hit a growth spurt and all became *way* too big for their cage. i'm glad they're growing, but the downside is we only have their coop about 50% completed. so we rigged up a small coop-ish thing in the barn inside of a horse stall as a temporary fix. i think they are quite happy! saturday night was their first night out there. my husband said 'i'm sick of these chickens, can't we get rid of them?'. but then he really cared, because saturday night, he went down there 2x to see if they were okay and then again sunday morning. [​IMG] he's funny. all 26 made it the first night, i didn't have time to check this morning but i'm sure they're fine. we set a live trap in front of their door in case a 'coon comes hunting, hopefully he'll run into the trap for the feed and won't get my chicks.

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    HI there, that's great! I'm glad you chics are happy in their new digs. [​IMG]
    How's the one that got picked on doing?

Miriam

3. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Hi Miriam, she's doing good. After being seperated for a few days and with a blue butt from the blu-kote, she seemed fine, so she's in with the other girls and they're having a big time. They have a big roost now too they can sit on and all sorts of yummy bugs and other misc stuff to munch on. LOL.

Thanks for asking. [​IMG]

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] great news [​IMG]
    Now when yall get your coop fixed we want to see some pics & of course chic pics. [​IMG]
    Miriam

5. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    That is so funny. I'm also in Ohio and we had to rig up a stall for our chicks as well. AND we have a trap sitting in front of the stall door! LOL

Right now, our babies are still little babies. They aren't a week old yet. We have them in a dog kennel that we had to wrap in chicken wire because they could just walk between the bars of the kennel.

We wrapped all of the open spaces of the stall with chicken wire.

We already trapped the racoon that was trying to get our kitten. He is also in a dog kennel and I found his towel pulled between the bars of the kennel a couple of times. We got the racoon the first night we set the trap.

Take care,

Tami

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by