babies are tweens (3 weeks) *updated pics* (warning, picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My 3 week old babies are now tweeners. They are spending half of the day (in the morning before it gets too hot) in their run/coop, and coming back in through the heat of the day.

Angel is the most friendly. She flys (literally) to my hand whenever I put it in the brooder and jumps on whatever part of me she can reach when I am in the run with them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her sister, the other Delaware, is the only chick with no name. I am really having trouble finding a name that fits her. She is friendly and active. She likes to play chest bump with the other chicks.
    [​IMG]

Lily is the Easter Egger. She is very friendly and extremely curious about everything. She may not be the first chick to try a new treat, but she is toward the head of the line. Her wings are nearly all feathered out, and she shows no color at all yet except white.
    [​IMG]

Lisbeth the Welsummer is camera shy. I probably too 20 pictures of her and this was as good as it gets. She just keeps moving. She is the shyest, most standoffish of the girls. She has never voluntarily jumped onto my hand and is showing no interest in doing so. Also, her wings are very slow to feather (roo maybe? her early markings were clearly pullet)
    [​IMG]

Misty is the Partridge Rock (I think). This is clearly the best picture I've gotten of her. Usually the best pics of her aren't possible because she is sitting on some part of me when we are in the run. She was the first chick to fly up to the roost in the run.
    [​IMG]

Scout the Golden Campine is looking less scruffy these days. The feathers around her neck and head have looked awful, but they are smoothing out. She is the smallest of the chicks, but that doesn't mean she doesn't assert herself. She likes to be on my arm or leg, too.
    [​IMG]

Vic the Golden Laced Wyandotte is pretty standoffish. She and Lisbeth hang out together when the others are flying to me and jumping up on me in the brooder. Today she was looking like she was going to hop on my arm, too, but she changed her mind. I'm giving her time. She is the first to the treat bowl though (loves that cottage cheese and tomatoes), so she'll come around. I had a heck of a time getting her in the carrier to take her back in today when the temp was approaching 100.
    [​IMG]

I had no idea that chickens had such distinct personalities. Charmers all.

2. They are all beautiful! I'm really admiring Misty, cause I've been intrigued by the Partridge Rocks and her feathers are very interesting!

[​IMG]

3. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

They're beautiful, sharol! My Delaware, Wheezy, is the friendliest of the bunch. She always comes running over to jump in my hand. She did this before I even started feeding them oats too!

I really like your white EE. My EE's are gray striped.

Is that a cucumber or a pickle?

My Wellies are kinda standoffish too, but they come a runnin' if they think I have a hand full of oats. I have one that's feathering out VERY slowly. She looks very gawky because she has short fuzz and that makes her look like she has really long legs.

Wheezy is pretty much the only chick with a name, but I'm thinking about naming my 3 RIR's Wynonna, Naomi, and Ashley (yeah, Ashley's not a red head, but that's okay). Still trying to decide what to call my roo. I'm leaning towards Winston. The rest of the peepers will probably just be called Here Chicky, Chicky.

Rachel

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Scout is a studdd muffin!!

5. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Misty (the mystery chick) is the one I've agonized over in terms of breed. I had one DOA from MPC, and I wondered for quite a while whether Misty was a PR or an EE (geeze, there are a lot of initials there). Her legs are wrong for a PR, but her comb and feathering is right. She is a sweet little bird. I guess I sort of expected the PR to be larger since the adults are larger than some of the other breeds, but she is a character in any case. I'll keep posting pictures as she matures. The adult PR's are gorgeous.

Quote:

6. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    They are such nice birds. I debated about ordering white birds because of our hawk problems, but most of the local hawks are the smaller red-tails and night hawks that prey on rodents, so I figured if they made it to adulthood, they should be OK.

I'm wondering what my EE will look like as an adult. I should go over to the EE list and look around.

It was their first cucumber. I had an extra from the garden and cut up a piece of it for them. You would have thought it was poison until one tried it and called the others over.

That's the way with my Wellie. I hope she is a she as I understand that late wing feathering is a roo indicator. I'm hoping she warms up to me eventually.

Quote:

7. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

Scout is a studdd muffin!!

I gotta tell you, I hope not [​IMG] She is so friendly that I'm hoping she turns out to be a hen (that's how she was ordered, but I understand vent checking is no 100% accurate. she is such a brave little thing.​

8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    daisy for no name...

9. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They look like pretty good chicks.

10. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thanks for the suggestion. I found a name for her just after I posted the original. I was talking to a friend and she reminded me of the "I Love Lucy" episode "Lucy Raises Chickens" from the 50's. (OK, I'm dating myself). The second Delaware's name is Lucy. For some reason, it seems to fit. I like Daisy, though. I'll keep that in reserve for the next batch (chicken math???).

Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

daisy for no name...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by