babies arrived, 1 doa needs ID -- new pics in post #16

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My 8 chicks from MPC arrived at 5 a.m. this morning. One was DOA. It was pasted up, so I'm not sure exactly what happened. Now I have to figure out which one died. I think it may be one of the EE's or possibly the GLW.

The other 7 are eating and drinking well (and pooping). No one is pasted (right now).

This is what I ordered: 2 Delawares, 2 EEs, 1 Welsummer, 1 Golden Campine, 1 GLW, 1 Partridge Rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the DOA chick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that the Campine (upper right in the first group shot) and the Welsummer (lower right in 1st group shot) made it. (they are together at the right in the second group shot). The Delawares are obvious (except that there are 3 light chicks, and none of them has the mascara in the pictures I have of Delawares). One of the light chicks must be an EE, but they can be any color, right?

Anyone have any ideas about which of the other chicks are which? And more importantly which one didn't make it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I am thinking the one that didn't is the GLW - -

here is a pic of mine @ about 5 days or so - - - Hope all your others do well and thrive!

[​IMG]

3. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I was thinking the GLW or maybe the other EE. (sigh) I know I can only keep 6 anyway, but I wanted to make that choice myself and then find good homes for the other 2. Oh, well.

I'm glad someone warned me about the "face plant" sleeping position. They are taking turns napping and it is a hoot. They will be eating away and just keel over for a minute or two and then take up where they left off.

Quote:

4. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    Yeah that ole face plant would have me in a panic!

Enjoy them while they are teeny - they grow up sooooooooo fast!

5. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to tell the EE's by their leg color and their puffy cheeks.

I think the one you lost may be the Campine, but [​IMG]

Enjoy the rest of your cuties!

6. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Yeah, well, that's the problem. The leg color isn't right on several to be the breeds I think they are. ;-)

The Campine (I think) is the leopardy looking chick in the first photo on the right side. and then next to the Welsummer in the second photo (on the right side again). She and the Welsummer and the Delawares are the most obvious. I think (and think is the key here) that the other yellow chick may be an EE even though the legs aren't really green - she has the puffy cheeks. That leave two chipmunky chicks to identify. I'll try to get individual portraits tonight when my husband can help me so that I can eliiminate some of the variables.

Quote:

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    the one that passed away looks kinda like the one I think is an EE from MPC that I received yesterday:

[​IMG]
    mine has the same back stripes also.

Poor chickie!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Here are some better individual pics of the ones that survived:

Campine -
    [​IMG]

Welsummer - (she has clear eyeliner, it doesn't show well here, but DH lost patience with my pictures, and I can't do it as well as he can)
    [​IMG]

2 Delawares (I can't tell them apart, but one is a bully)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one may be an Easter Egger -- no others that I ordered could be all yellow, and she has the puffy cheeks (but iffy leg color) - that is poo on her head
    [​IMG]

The next two aren't identified. They could be Golden Lace Wyandotte, Partirdge Plymouth Rock, or Easter Egger

Chick 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there is the dead chick in the op.

Anybody able to shed some light on this? I need to file a report with MPC about the deceased chick, and I don't know which one it is.

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the one you lost is the other EE. Chick 1 looks like the PR and Chick 2 looks like the GLW.

10. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I think the one you have as a campine is an EE, and the last one pictured is a GLW.

Okay, so I go:

EE (green legs)
    Welsummer
    Delware x2
    EE (puffy cheeks)
    campine OR partridge rock (NO IDEA here)
    GLW (I've had a couple of these)

Which would make your DOA either campine or rock.

SO sorry [​IMG] THe rest are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by