Babies, Babies, babies....7 total...new pix!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NellaBean, Jul 27, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have a little bantam partridge cochin who is sitting on a huge nest of eggs. 9 due tonight, plus 5 or 6 that somebody snuck in there at some other point in the last 3 weeks. 1 hatched Sunday, 5 hatched yesterday, 1 more hatched last night...leaving 2 eggs left due today. Guess the high heat has been helping them along a bit!

Here she was with the first baby
    [​IMG]

And the 6 babies as of last night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another little yellow one hatched out last night. Not sure if the other 2 eggs due today will hatch. I think this is her first time as a broody....she is doing a really good job and is quite nice.

I am going to pull all the "extra" eggs tonight and give them to another broody. I'll give the 2 due tonight another day to hatch then they will get pulled too.

The first one was a silkie mix, the others all look like cochin mixes. Some have poofy cheeks, some don't. Cute cute cute!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Congrats!
    I don't know why these girls want to set in summer heat. But I have one raising chicks and 2 more that just went broody last week [​IMG]

3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have SO MANY broodies right now. I still have 1 leghorn/giant hen with 4 babies who are about a month old. The other hen who was coparenting with her (barred cochin) just gave up on them this week. Plus another barred cochin hen sitting on a bunch of olive egger eggs....my poor old RIR hen sitting on nothing, 3 white leghorn/jersey giant girls piled up on each other wanting to sit, a big half bald australorp wanting to sit......and the last barred cochin just gave up on her readoption of her 8-10 week old chicks. Darn these broodies.....I was able to "break" a few of them, but the rest are being stubborn.

This little bantam girl has done the best job by far of them all. And she is so NICE about it. I am used to ANGRY EVIL BROODY syndrome. LOL

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I've managed to break the other broodies. The last thing I need, while they molt, is for them to go without eating (or eating too little) because of their hormones. I want them pretty by showtime!!
    Luckily, I'd already planned to keep the lavenders out fo the show this year, so they can be broody if they insist...

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohh so cute! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Ended up with 7 babies total. Looks like 2 silkie mixes.....2 mille fleur cochins...1 cochin/EE and two little yellow ones. They are all bantams, either pure cochin, cochin mix, or silkie mix. I think at least one little yellow one is a silkie mix. Anywho, here are some pix with the momma. Ignore the poopiness....that is the quarantine shed which is due for a SCRUB down once the weather cools off. Chickens are gross

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved momma and babies into the freshly cleaned broody hutch tonight instead......here they are getting all settled in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    How cute they are! [​IMG]

8. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Lost one of the bitty yellow chicks today.....1 had been very small and weak, so not too surprising.....what IS surprising is that I still have 7 chicks. Say what? There must have been 1 more chick stuck up under her wing or something when I moved them as I counted only 7! I moved 7 chicks plus the momma into that fresh and clean broody hutch. No eggs went with her.....so that is my only theory on where this 8th chick came from. Very strange.

So, still 7 chicks! all others seem to be doing fine. I'll give them a week and then start letting her take them outside.

9. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:Lucky! STill waiting for my broody breeds to mature...

10. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    How sweet! And that momma is such a pretty little thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by