Babies beak is deformed!

vkp23

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
My house
In my hatch I have going on right now I had one that went a long time after pipping and it became apparent that he needed help. He was fighting and fighting and not getting anywhere. Any how, I gave him some help and so far he's doing just fine. No sign of any problems other than his beak. It looks like he was born with a trimmed beak. You know how some farms nip the tip of the top beak. That's what this guy looks like. The bottom is fine but the top looks about cut off right below the nostrils. His nostrils are fine and clear. It's rounded and looks like a stubby top beak. I really want to keep him because I don't mind a "special" chicken. I'm just worried he may not be able to eat. What are your opinions?

For his waterer, I'd make sure he doesn't have to crane his neck over a high edge & then reach down to get water, 'cause he won't be able to "hold" water in his beak like other chickens when it's pointed downward.
I hope your little guy does well! I think he could have a good chance.
thumbsup.gif

Since the bottom is normal, he should be able to scoop feed and water. I would watch him carefully. If he is able to eat and drink normally, he should be fine. I have two girls with wonky beaks. One doesn't forage well and I have to watch and make sure she gets enough. Other than that, they can live just fine.

Back
Top Bottom