Babies born two weeks ago tomorrow A few Q's (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Donnadzitall, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Wow...they are all still alive. Momma has had them in a coop to herself and doing a fine job! I thought I would see if you can tell me...I noticed a few of them have combs (right terminology?) already. Does that mean anything in regards to sex? The wings are definitely growing out. They are all the same color at the moment. Are they all going to be the same color? Which is dominant? The Red from mom or the Black from dad? (both bantam cochins) Any input would be great. My first time hatching out chicks from chickens. (I have another girl on another nest...here we go again! [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I have no answers to your questions because I'm a newbie myself, but thanks for sharing the darling pictures and congrats on the babies and the good mama!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I think that at 2 weeks it's a tad bit early to discern the gender by comb alone. You'll need to wait probably another 2 weeks at best.

They are adorable. Congrats on such a successful hatch.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Roo's do get their combs before the pullets do.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You know, when it comes to cochins, I'm always a bit confused about the gender. I had one from McMurray's that was supposedly a hen, and wasn't sure until he was 6 months old and crowing that he was really a he.

Now, I have two more cochins (blue giants) and one has much larger comb and wattles than the other one does and I was convinced that once again I'd gotten a roo. But I just found that one on the nest laying an egg, so I'm wrong again. Ack! Who knows with these lovelies?! [​IMG]

Whatever they turn out to be, enjoy! They're such wonderful birds, big fluffy gentle chicken-zillas! [​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I could tell my males from my females at 3-4 weeks with my bantam cochins. Their combs were slightly larger and pink by then.

I bet the babies will be mostly black, with a bit of rust in them. They're darling babies, good job broody mama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by