Babies coming- what supplies do I need???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nccatnip, Oct 4, 2007.

1. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I have my list made so far for the nursery but need advice on what type of waters and feeders to get for the day olds.
    I have brooder boxes- any other suggestions?
    Feeders/waters
    Paper towels
    Shavings
    Lights & bulbs
    Thermometer
    Starter Feed
    Vitamin/electrolyte supplement for water
    Please add anything else you found helpful

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Sounds like everything I'd think you need. So- how many seabrights are you getting? I hope they have birds across the street this weekend. Looking forward to your visit! My poor husband hates for me to go to the trade day. He always worries about what I'll bring home next. lol! -Lynn

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you have it all! Dont forget to put a few marbles/stones in the water dish...so they dont drown. Oh, I know ONE thing I didnt see on that list.....CAMERA!! LOL Of course we will want pics.

4. nccatnip

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:I have 12 straight run coming on the 19th. Sill hoping to make if Sat but looking doubtful.
    Looks like the banty eggs are viable, I am so hoping to get you a trio out of Frank and the girls rather than the eggs I am hatching as he has been bred for type.
    Don't know if you have seen "The Man"
    http://www.uwharriestudios.smugmug.com/gallery/3562117#201918442

5. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    OMG! He is exactly what I was hoping for! The OEG...black breasted red? They look like the Kelloggs rooster which is what I think of when I think rooster. Is he friendly? Funny I met a "Fred" OEG before -I knew a man that raised all types of birds. He could clap his hands for his OEG Fred and little Fred would fly right into his hands.

6. nccatnip

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:He is curious and loves to know exactly what everyone, including me, is doing but I never really handled any of them much. If one of the girls has trouble getting in the coop at night (still haven't figured that one out, seems they get turned around) I can get him off the roost and tell him to go get his woman. He does exactly that. Had I spent more time with him, I am sure he would do anything for me. He will crow on command to tell my daughter hello on the phone.
    Do not buy a trio- if I get a trio from the eggs under the banty- they are yours.
    I think if you search that site, there are more pics of him under Amy's Farm.

7. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Since you are expecting phoenix in your hatch, May I suggest a 1/2 inch dowel set upon a hunk of 2x4. I attach the 2x4 blocks to the sides of the brooder and place the dowel atop of them securing 1 side with a screw. Let the otherside just rest upon the block ( makes for rotataing ease of cleaning the brooder box). A phoenix chick will usually start roosting by 1 week of age.

8. nccatnip

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:Thanks Napa, I have admiring your guys and almost placed an order but was concerned about the shipping distance. Will see what hatches, doid some candling last night and looks like some are growing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Get all your housework done now, get down you winter woolies and wash/air them, clean out the car, make up lots of casseroles and freeze them. Get some groceries for yourself and pack the pantry, go to the hairdresser, then sit back and relax!!!you wont want to do all the forementioned things when they arrive.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I just got 51 little ones. My husband informs me that if I spend 6 hours with them, then we'll make no profit at all. Hey, they are so cute you just can't help it, they are better than TV!!

Get some chick grit. Start them on it at 3 days just sprinkle a little on their food like you would salt on your food.

I'm on day 3 and all are still alive. They think they are big chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by