babies coming

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    coop is finished & 25 babies from mcmurray coming 2nd wk in feb. six barred rock, 6 black australorp, 6 buff orpington, and 7 silver laced wyandottes. in for it now - no going back. i'm scared. hope they do allright.

2. One of the girls

One of the girls Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Neat! Wish they were mine. [​IMG]

I'm forcing myself to wait until April.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC
    Good luck!! And don't worry about it much! The less you worry, the better they turn out. [​IMG]

4. potluck

potluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    You got the coop finished - you are way ahead of the game - relax and enjoy your babies [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Cool! So are you going to brood them in the coop?

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Read the stickies at the top of the page about raising babies. Loads of good info for newbies with chicks. I read them over and over and refered back to them as needed.

Have waterer and feeder set up before arrival. And call PO with a heads up about their arrival.

I started with 25 too. I now have far more than that! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! Be sure to post pictures when they arrive. I have 6 hens right now and I am wanting more. I am trying to stick it out and wait until spring time. It isn't going too well which would explain why I am in the "Raising chicks" section of the forum... [​IMG]
    It can be nerve wrecking being a first time chicken owner, but it really isn't too hard. My advice is take lots of pictures, they grow so fast! Seriously! With in a week they will start having some feathers. [​IMG]
    Also, watch out for pasty butt at first. This is when a chick will have poop on its bum. You will need to wet a paper towel and wipe off their behinds to allow poop to pass through. But you wont have to worry about this after their first week.

Good luck! I am sure you will be fine! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by