babies first field trip outside=DISASTER

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midd2005, Aug 4, 2010.

1. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    so, my chickies are 9 days old now and seemingly thriving. it's hawaii and it's a lovely 85 degree, sunny day out so i figured today would be a perfect day for their first trip outside. on the grass, i set up a little enclosure a bit bigger than twice the size of their brooder, surrounded with hardware cloth so they could also see out. i brought out their feeder and nipple waterer so they would have something familiar.

i figured they would be initially wary of exploring and would stay close to me but eventually the bravest would venture out and the rest would follow.

wow was i wrong. they wigged out! two of my brahmas were doing everything they could to bury their heads in my lap, including laying on top of each other which isn't something they would normally stand for. the rest were all over my lap and arms and the chirping was that of total desperation. i could stand about 10 minutes of this total terror before i packed them quickly back up into the transporter and brought them back into the living room where their brooder is.

it's like the sun scared the crap out of them. they all wanted to hide their eyes and be close to me.

is this normal? i'm 100% new to chickening.

2. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I did the same thing with mine. One set was 8 days old yesterday, and the others just a day old. They LOVED it!

[​IMG]

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor babies! It seems like yours had a bit of an extreme reaction, but it IS true that they really don't like bright sun. Maybe early evening or morning would be a better time, when the sun isn't so bright and hot. Or at least find a nice shady spot for them. None of my chickens like to be out in the sun during the heat of the day.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sun is probably strong there. In the cool PNW, spring new chicks always stand there bug eyed and stare at the sun. [​IMG]

Since it's toasty out, just put them in the shade. Perhaps there was a flying bird that scared them.

5. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Oh yeah, it was like 8pm when I took mine out. Still light, but not bright and sunny. That may have made the difference.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    My girls hated their first time outside, until I brought them under the shade of a tree. They've loved it ever since!

7. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Mine acted the same way. Took me 3 times of having them out in the mirning, then one time had them put in the evening and they loved it. Turns out it was just the bright sunshine they disliked! Now I put them in the shade and they get right down to bug hunting.

8. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    yeah, i'm thinking it was the sun. and maybe next time ill take out a small box for them to hide in. since they are still relatively young i figured the more sun the better as the trade winds are blowing a little today.

some of them were also holding their mouths open which was perhaps like a pant?

also, i forgot to mention that on my way back into the house with them, i step through the sliders, the screens of which i had left open (a not uncommon event) on my way out, and what is sitting in the middle of the living room but the two doves who have been terrorizing my mini garden. my chickens are still wigging out, the doves start wigging out and flying into walls and glass doors and landing on lamps. cheeky bastards.

anyway, i think ill wait a few days until i take them out again. yikes. trauma.

9. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    :lol:MINE LOVED IT THEN WENT WILDEN:lol:

THEY GOT VERY EXCITED THE POOOP ALOT![​IMG]

10. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by