Babies first night in their new coop - and I'm so worried!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nonny, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The silly thing is, I'm not worried they might be too cold, but worried they might be too hot! LOL

Last night it only got down to 91 indoors (probably a bit cooler outside) and since the brooder was getting way too hot for them I've moved them early into the new coop, hoping the more "open" night air will be a bit cooler. It's 8pm here and I've just checked on them and they're sleeping next to each other (although not huddled) and looking quite content.

It's too early (Lacey is such a slow developer that at 3 and a bit weeks she still only has wings, not even a tail!) but they seem to be doing ok. I just know I'm going to be traipsing off down the yard every hour or so until I go to bed just to make sure they're OK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    10:30 at night and it's down to 82. :) I just checked on the babies and they were sleeping happily and didn't even peep when I shone the torch in there.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol last night was the first night for mine outside. i was worried about them being too cold. so after checking on them several times they are doing great so far this morning.

4. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well this is what greeted me this morning:

[​IMG]

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Doesn't it make you wonder how the heck they got up so high? It looks like you have a marvelous set up for them. It was in the single digits maybe 8 degrees F here in the Colorado mountains last night and I'm about to go deliver a warm breakfast and hope everyone is OK.

6. Debbie Hooks

Debbie Hooks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    I went through the same thing when I put my babies outside for the first night. They all took care of each other and are so happy out there. Deb

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I go through the same thing every batch of birds. So far everyone's always been okay. Your birds are adorable [​IMG]

8. Morganne

Morganne New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    LOL you sound like me with all the animals! :) Unfortunately though, I live in the city and now wish I would've bought my house on the outskirts so I could have as many animals as I want! :) (I kinda do now anyway) but I am looking into raising a couple of chickens... I wish I could, but I have read horror stories about my city and the permit for that... UGH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by