Babies' first visit outside!

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My new chicks are 3-4 weeks old, so it is time to let them visit outside! It's 78°F right now where I am which makes it easier. I will sit outside a short distance away keeping an ear out for any issues and I will bring them in after a few hours.

It's always amazing how fast they grow; they are staring to look almost like real chickens! 😆

PXL_20211118_192239133.MP.jpg

It's fun to watch them discover the great outdoors! Did they find some tasty bugs and such?
Yes, they had a great afternoon scratching around, stretching their legs a bit, and taking their first real dust baths! The next few days are going to be warm so they should be able to have a few more outdoor visits before they are out there permanently in a couple of weeks.

They've got plenty of feathers so you don't have to wait a few weeks but could work on the transition right now. :)
Thank you! You are right and I'm probably being too conservative. We do have some cold nights next week including one low of 33ºF, plus I need to build a temporary chick coop. Thanks for the reassurance that they will be fine outdoors!

Thank you! You are right and I'm probably being too conservative. We do have some cold nights next week including one low of 33ºF, plus I need to build a temporary chick coop. Thanks for the reassurance that they will be fine outdoors!

You can start by getting them clear off heat at night inside and opening a window to expose them to lower temperatures so they can acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom