Babies first walk... did the other ladies accept them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eastbaychicks, May 22, 2010.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Ok... so I've been reading that mama's will protect their babies... at what point will they do this?

I let Mama and the six chicks out today, really so she could get her dust bath, but also so the other hens could get a chance to show me how they feel about these babies. I really want to integrate these chicks as soon as safe. The other seven ladies have been able to see them through some hardwire, but not access them. All of the girls have at one point poked their head in to see what was going on. Some were shy about it, and some were just plain curious and had to know what all that beeping was about.

Anyway so today while Miss. Piggy (Mama) was dust bathing, all the chicks stood by watching.... and getting dirt kicked on them. The other hens all surrounded, and the queen of the flock had a stare down followed by a peck (that caused no injury). No one seemed aggressive, but then Miss. Piggy did nothing to protect the babies, I mean nothing not even a stance of 'just in case'. Does that mean she trusts the other ladies? What's the story here? This dynamic is NOT what I expected.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just keep watching them. Doesn't sound like a protective mama to me.

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sounds like your momma hen trusts her sister hens with her babies. You'd best stay close whenever mom & babes are outside the coop, just in case there's any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by