Babies going out!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen W., Apr 24, 2018.

1. Karen W.

Karen W. In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    I have a question! I have 10 babies that are 5 weeks old today!! I live in NC and the weather has been crazy! I have been putting the chicks outside on nice days and bringing them in at night. The weather is going to be in the 70s and 50s at night. I am thinking about putting them outside. They have a coop inside of a 10 x 10 with an A-Roof and also wrapped with a tarp on top so nothing can get inside from the top. I am also thinking of placing the heating plate inside for them. Should they have a night light and water and food? Or should they be shut up at night with nothing?? I am a newbie to this and sorry for so many questions!! I just want to make sure I do everything correct!!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  2. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    I would keep a heat lamp on them just to be save….. even though my cayuga ducklings are in a cage outside at night and its still getting 50 here….

Karen W. likes this.
  3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Generally speaking 6 wks or 60°. I have seen as heard of some moving chicks out as soon as 4 wks with out being 60+at night but no cooler

Karen W. likes this.
  4. OzarkF&G

OzarkF&G In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2017
    Missouri
    I think it varies with each person really. We just hatched 3 silkies and a porcelain d'uccle. They stayed in two large dog crates with their moms for 2 weeks. After that, I let the doors open up to the main coop area which has a sort of tunnel out to the main run. The moms would keep the babies in the hay inside for that first week. this week they have been running all over the main pen and even elbowing in for scratch with the adults.
    We have been lucky though and both roosters and all the hens have been very accepting of the babies. Hoping to have the same luck in the cochin pen in 18 days...

Karen W. likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: