1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies Hatched today No idea what to do!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PJL, Nov 23, 2010.

1. PJL

PJL New Egg

May 12, 2008
    My silkie hatched I think four chicks today. I'm getting conflicting advice. Our local farm store says to take the chicks inside with heat lamp and leave mom hen outside or the babies will die. I've also heard to just let the mother take care of them. I live in Maine and our nights are getting down in the twenties. She is in the coop inside a box and Ican start putting the heat lamp on at night but not sure if that will be enough. Any advice out there?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm going to leave this to the experts. But, how cold does it get in your coop?

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I'm probably not the one to ask, but I would bring momma and babies into a garage or basement, and put a heat lamp on for them.

4. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I had a broody hatch 5 chicks about 2 weeks ago and I left the babies with her. Out temps have been below freezing at night, but she is doing a good job with them.

The Cochin on the top has the young group and the Welsummer on the bottom has chicks about 6 weeks old now. They have lights during the day but not heat lamps.

[​IMG]

I also have some with out a mama under a heat lamp, but they are 6 weeks old too and mostly feathered out.

So, I guess it depends on your mama hen!

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I don't know what your feed store is talking about. The best way to raise chicks is probably with a broody. She knows how to keep them at the perfect temp., she knows how to get them to eat and drink, and broody-raised chicks hardly ever get sick or die while hatching. Where I live, you could just let the broody and the chicks roam around outside, or keep her in a broody cage (depending on how aggressive your other chickens are). If it is REALLY cold, then putting the family in a protected building would probably be a good idea. Good luck with your babies. [​IMG]

6. PJL

PJL New Egg

May 12, 2008
    Thank you for all your input. Right now my coop is at 40 . I just put the heat lamp on and pointed it towards the hen. I think I am going to leave it to mother nature. I think she will do a better job then me and the rest of my hens are mellow, I'm pretty sure they would be fine with the chicks. I did buy some starter food and I guess I will put it out for them. When do they start eating??

7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They will probably start eating the second day, they can wait longer, but it is better if they don't. [​IMG]

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They will probably start eating the second day, they can wait longer, but it is better if they don't. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by