1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies in the bator!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missmaryb, Mar 18, 2011.

1. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Last night I put 6 saxony eggs in the incubator [​IMG] heres to hoping for a great hatch!

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    [​IMG] for you!

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I wish you good luck with the little babies. The girls here don't even know what happened to their eggs. Send off to another place, your place that is. LOL I'm waiting on my goose eggs to hatch any moment now.

4. missmaryb

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Duck ABC i have a question for you if you don't mind... I'm reading alot of conflicting humidty recommendations, some say 65-70% and some say 85%....what do you usually set it at?

5. The Duck ABC's

Feb 5, 2011
    I set mine at 55-60%, and later increase to 80-85% during lock down. Your incubator should have two large channels for water. Just use one first and later fill them up all. This means in my region all 4 channels or impressions, due to my dry climate. You may only need 2 in Florida. Just don't have it go below 50% or they can bind inside of the egg. I once went down to 20% and almost had a heart attack. Forgot to refill it, and here in the high desert I have to fill it daily. They turned out alright after all. Try to turn them as much as you can in the first week and don't forget to mist them daily with warm water. Some leave the misting bottle in the machine. I don't because bacteria can grow in the water. I simply run hot water in my sink to about 100-110 degrees. It will cool somewhat when you mist it anyway. You do not need to cool off the eggs daily, if you have an incubator with a fan. Without a fan you should cool them for for 10 minutes daily. Set a timer so you don't forget. Also use warm water to refill your incubator. For candling I use a very bright LED flash light. It does not emit heat and therefore not damage the egg. I also never remove the egg out of my turner for candling. The less you handle them the better. I wait until night and shine the light into the egg. Works well for me. You should see some blood vessels on day 5. After that I check weekly. A cheap stethoscope is wonderful so you can hear the heat beat.

6. missmaryb

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Thanks so much :) and btw what did you mean you sent the eggs to my place? Are you the one I bought them from on ebay??

7. The Duck ABC's

Feb 5, 2011
    Bingo!
    Yes, you did buy them from me on ebay. LOL

8. missmaryb

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    TOO funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by