1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies in with older pullet???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IroquoisEgg, Sep 26, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I just got 2 baby chicks today, a jersey giant and a black australorp, a few days old. I put them in with my ameracauna 5 week old her still not feathered. I had to put her 2 other flockmates outside because they were just tooo big. she is calling out for her friends and that makes me feel bad, and the new babies are picking at her mouth when she eats. Eating the food left on her beak as she is eating. Is this going to work??? Why are they doing this to her? Do they think she's mom? Please help I feel so bad for my little girl!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It is pretty normal for chickens to eat stuff off of each others' beaks. They're not hurting her.

Though, as far as your lonely 5-week-old, is it really that cold in Sacramento? She can't go with her buddies?

3. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Ya' know I am thinking the same thing...the only parts on her that aren't feathered is between her wings on her back, and the middle of her neck. Forecast calls for- Lows 58-63 degrees and highs 100 degrees and down from there next week or so. Ugh, she's still calling for her girls. They are gone having a play date at my in-laws right now. I brought the little one home with me so she could used to the babies as soon as possible. Are those temps okay? I usually wait until "fully" feathered but it IS hot this week....

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If your 5 week old goes with the other girls, will she be in a nice dry draft-free coop at night? If so, she should be fine at 5 weeks with the temps you mentioned, IMO.

60 degrees at night? That's ok, IMO. But if the wind will be on her all night, brrrr.

5. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    The coop is draft free and has a dirt ground, very secure and cozy!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Keep us updated!!!![​IMG]

7. IroquoisEgg

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I put her in with friends, and they are joining a flock of 20 other chickens ranging in age from 26 weeks down to Fern, the chick in question, who is 5 weeks. I have kept them in the coop inside their own Mini Coop. They came out today and pretty much got ambushed in the yard by the others so, I put them back into safety. Should I keep them there for a week or so while they get used to each other. The older girls can see them 3 in there, and vice versa, but cannot get to them. They did fine overnight though and mama was much relieved!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by