Babies keep dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hbchicknmama, Apr 20, 2016.

1. hbchicknmama

hbchicknmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hi everyone,
    I have done everything I have learned to do with these babies. Kept the temp warm enough, clean water everyday, medicated chick feed, warm
    And cool area in brooder, etc... And we have lost 6 chicks so far (all at about a week old) with only one left. First 3 I'm pretty sure they had something (sick) when I got them (poop on their butts), and the other 3 were totally fine then out of nowhere they are on their side and dead not long after. So now I'm left with one chick that is about 2 weeks old and not sure what to do. I have 2 hens that are about a year old outside in the coop but the one we have left I think is just too young to put out there. I know our one lone chick will get super lonely in the brooder by herself but I just don't have the heart to get more chicks out of fear they are just going to die. What am I doing wrong???

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    It might not be anything your doing. First let me ask a few questions to get a better idea of what's going on. Where did you get the chicks from? When they had poop bottom were you cleaning off the poop through out the day? If not they can actually get plugged and won't be able to poop and die. What material are you using for bedding in your brooder? What are you using for the brooder box? Where is the brooder being kept? We're you lowering the temperature by 5 degrees each week? Basic rules of thumb, at 1 day to 1 week old 95 degrees, 2 weeks 90 degrees, 3 weeks 85 degrees 4 weeks 80 degrees until you get to room temp and lamp is no longer needed. What are you using for heat source? Are you checking the temperature with a thermometer? (You should never guess the temperature this is dangerous ) what heat bulb are you using? Have they accidently spilled water in the brooder? If yes was it switched out for dry bedding? When they get shavings or poop in the water do you change it? And last question, did any chicks appear fluffed up and extra sleepy and lethergic with loose or foamy poo? If yes that could be a coccidosis infection. If untreated they will usually pass. If you can answer these questions I'm sure we can figure out what's happening. Don't give up. Once we figure it out, you should be able to get some chick friends for your surviving chick without worry.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ok, let me see if I can cover everything.
    -got the first 3 from one feed store and the rest from a different one.
    -yes, cleaned off bottom consistently with warm water and gently dried
    -brooder is in the garage
    -pine shavings in the brooder
    -large storage box for brooder with a heat lamp
    -100watt bulb
    -yes have a thermometer in the brooder and it is just outside of where the light hits and temp is consistently 90-95 degrees. The other end of the brooder is cooler if needed.
    -no water spilled in brooder (shockingly!)
    -clean water everyday
    -yes they were sleepy before passing. The one that died last night it almost looked like she had pus on her butt? But was fine before that.
    Hope I answered everything :) I am just so sad and hate that I have one lonely chick out there :(

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicks from different places, points to a possible coccidiosis issue. Medicated feed will not treat an outbreak, for that you need something like Corid. Also, pasty butt is usually caused by some sort of stress, usually heat-related. Most people keep their chicks far too warm. They only need a warm spot of about 90*, directly under the heat lamp. The rest of the brooder should be significantly cooler, by at least 20 degrees. Pasty butt is fatal, if you don't clear the blockage ASAP.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Is your light bulb Teflon coated? What they call a "rugged" outdoor light? If so that could be it. Those bulbs outgas carbon monoxide which kills birds of any age.
    Go to the tractor Supply or your tack store and get the smallest bottle of Poultry Nutri Drench by Bovidr Labs. http://www.nutridrench.com Whatever else your chicks need, they need energy. This product is an emergency nutritional supplemet which doesn't need to be digested. mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Works quickly. If your chicks are challenged somehow, so is their G,I, tract and it is not efficiently uptaking the helps you are giving it. So not getting all they help you are trying to provide. The Drench bypasses that problem and gets the energy to them quickly. Make your water solution the same color as very weak tea. Keep the chick on it for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks fo life. It's great stuf.. Have used it for over a decade on my collies and poultry. Never had a sick or dead chick when using it. Just healthy robust chicks.
    Best Success,
    Karen

6. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No, just a regular lightbulb. Is Sav-a-chic different than nutridrench? I used sav-a-chick on the first 3.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

The sleepy, lethergic behavior, foamy poo tells me it's possible they had a issue with coccidosis. This is actually fairly common in young chicks. They could have even been infected with it at the feed stores then even more new cocci introduced with the new chickens different strains could have over loaded them. This is likely. Not all strains of coccidosis produces bloody poop so look for the other symptoms. Ruffled feathers, puffed up apearence, lethergic behavior, extreme sleepiness. Always have some Amprollium on hand to treat the flock at first sign of a sick chick.the brand name for Amprollium is Corid. You can get it at the feed store. This is nothing you did wrong. Coccidosis or cocci is in soil, and feces. The birds have to develop immunity to it but sometimes their systems get overloaded before immunity can happen and they get ill.so just know that you didn't do anything wrong. Just get some Amprollium to have on hand for your new chicks and treat the entire flock if any chicks display symptoms. I'd clean the brooder really well before I got the new chicks. There is no reason to give up. I know it's hard and sad but it's not your fault so there is no reason not to get some new friends for your lonely chick. Hope this helps and good luck. I hope to see some new baby pictures soon!!:)

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    No, just a regular lightbulb. Is Sav-a-chic different than nutridrench? I used sav-a-chick on the first 3.[/quote

NO Nutri Drench is completely different. You can buy it at most feed stores. Its like concentrated vitamins that absorb quickly into the blood stream.

9. hbchicknmama

Apr 28, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thank you!!!!

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Yes. Sav-A Chick need to be digested. Nutri-Drench does not.
    Drench gets there faster when the chick needs nutrition and energy.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by