Babies No More....the Crew @ 15 Weeks Old (PICs)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Took the opportunity to snap some pics when I brought them inside so they could rest, eat and drink. They are in the main flock and won't yet come inside on their own to get food (water is outside). They just passed 15 weeks yesterday. Levi, blue wheaten Ameraucana, Tiny the black Ameraucana, Emily the Black Rock, Neela and Alice, the blue Rocks, Barbara the BR and Rita, the strange Ameraucana cross that looks like a RIR. Levi still has not crowed.

Hey, halo, are you sure these are really Rocks?? They are huge and round, more like Orps than Rocks. They are all larger than Barbara, Fern's daughter out of Dutch! They act like Orps, too, silly critters. Except for the yellow legs, you'd think they were BBS Orps.

Dutch danced for Rita today, whose comb and wattles are getting quite pink for 15 weeks old.

First up Emily, who is HUGE.
DCP_5263.jpg

Rita, who really did hatch from a blue egg, I swear:

DCP_5253.jpg

Barbara, Fern's daughter and Ivy's granddaughter:

DCP_5257.jpg

Alice:

DCP_5258.jpg

Tiny, in the middle of the group:

DCP_5261.jpg

Levi and Rita:

DCP_5262.jpg

Levi and Neela:

DCP_5250.jpg

And the other pics:

DCP_5260.jpg

DCP_5249.jpg

DCP_5252.jpg

They are orpish, arent they? Thats why I like them so much, Im getting the type and roundness of orps, but they are smaller, more efficient, mature much quicker, and lay better. Thats why I switched over a couple of years ago to concentrate on them. Im not sure that its exactly what the SOP states they should be, but as long as they have yellow legs, the proper combs, and good body type (even if a bit orpish), then Im very happy.

The blacks do get bigger than the blues, tho. I dont know whats following that black coloring, maybe a black orp was used years ago, and the size is following the color, but the blacks tend to a little more size than the blues. I sure love em.

Levi has a GREAT beard! I wish the babies I have looked as good. For some reason, Im getting much prettier blue wheaton boys than wheaton boys. Gotta love those wacky genes, huh.

Last edited:
Emily is just so cute. She has the funniest run of any of them. Neela is really skittish, but so pretty. Her several dark feathers molted out and there's just one left. They are really pretty birds. What do you think of Levi?

My blacks are so big and fat they waddle when they run, side to side. Funny your blue girl is skittish, they are usually so calm. Levi looks wonderful; Im thinking I need to keep a blue wheaten roo now. The blues seem so much better than the wheatens Ive been growing out. Im wanting to keep another wheaten since I have so many blue wheaten girls, but I may have to rethink that, since the blue boys look so nice.

I am growing out a couple of blue wheaten chicks that I hatched from some bought eggs, so maybe Ill keep one of them.

Quote:
I was thinking the same!

Cyn, Emily looks more like a Australorp than Black Rock.- I guess it's because she is huge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom